$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Honda GC190 - What parts can easily be replaced after 10 years.

Author Topic: Honda GC190 - What parts can easily be replaced after 10 years.  (Read 823 times)

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
I have 2006 GC 190 Honda and it seems to be in good condition. It starts in one pull. So nothing to replace so far. My question is, what are these parts that i can easily replace to make the engine perform like brand new again. I noticed the parts are mostly below 20 dollars likebthe carb, fuel pump , coil ....Any suggestion what a newbie like me can easily replace in the engine? Some will probably say dont touch it if aint broken...Well.. lets just say i also enjoy working on engine so any suggestion which parts may need replacing and why?

Thank you

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Honda GC190 - What parts can easily be replaced after 10 years.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 12:02:35 PM »
The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is good advice on these. If it works good, leave it alone. Routine maintenance things are good to keep up with, like oil, get rid of the air filter you don't need it, fuel filter, plug etc.. Keep an eye on the muffler heat shield, those were notorious for cracking, and if that happened to completely fall off you would end up with a melted port side engine compartment... Very ugly and not easy to repair. The governor arm was known to break from stress cracks too, so keep an eye on that too.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 07:45:43 PM »
Hi Tom

These parts you mentioned could break with no warning due to its old age and when they break, it could happen when the engine is running and before you would know it, it already damaged the more expensive part of the boat which is the hull. So I'm thinking renewing the governor arm, the heat shield (what else) could give you a peace of mind it won't break soon because you know they are new and never been stressed yet unless it was incorrectly replaced. I think that's why they came up with this saying if ain't broke, don't replace it because some makes mistakes in the replacement process.  But that will unlikely happen to me bec I'm only thinking to replace the easy ones..or the plug and play parts of the engine.
So historically parts that usually breaks or weakens are
1 governor arm
2 muffler heat shield
3 plug

I don't plan to replace all, I will just choose from the list based of the negative effect when it breaks.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:20:28 PM »
Not every engine had the problems though, so that's why I said to keep an eye on things. Check the governor arm and muffler shield for cracks after every couple trips. If you notice anything wrong then deal with it. Not saying wait till it fails you on the river, if you are paying attention things like that won't happen to catch you off guard. You'll catch it long before it becomes a problem. The muffler heat shield is part Honda, part Mokai. So replacing that would require you taking the deflector off and making it fit a new heat shield. And before you take the governor arm off, be sure you take a picture of where the shaft comes through so you can easily reinstall the new one without having to go through the adjustment process, get that wrong and the engine runs wide open.

So change what's necessary, when necessary, and have parts on hand so you don't have to wait. I wouldn't buy a bunch of new parts and just put them on when the old ones were still working fine with no signs of damage. But that's me. Thinking like that you may as well just buy a new GC190 and start off fresh. hehe
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 46
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:35:51 PM »
 Don’t know about the Honda engine but with my Suburu, the one and only time I have been dead in the water was when the cap on the spark plug somehow loosened over time and stripped the threads in the cap. The cap was stuck in the plug connector and I couldn’t get it out and it wouldn’t stay on the threaded post.

After digging through my tool kit I found an Allen wrench that I was able to jamb in the cap and pull it out.  I then turned it over and screwed it back on the spark plug post and it was good to go.

My long term remedy was to replace the plug and screw a set screw into the cap and jamb it tight so it is unlikely to work loose on it own.  Do it and you may save yourself some paddling some day.  :)

Bill

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 07:26:37 AM »
Hi Tom,

A lot easier for me and no stress at my side if i just listen yo your advise.. Hehe.
Will just do regular maintenace as you suggested and will start with the spark plug.

Hi Bizler,
Do you have a picture? I have not replace the spark plug nor remove the cap since i bought it so this is something I can do this weekend.

Thank you guys..

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »
Have you pulled the motor out and inspected the muffler heat shield yet?

On the spark plug, pull the lead off and look at the top of the plug. If it's a solid part of the plug you have nothing to worry about, if you see threads inside the tip then that's what you'll want to make sure is tight. I use red loctite personally, haven't had one come loose yet.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:25 AM »
Yes Tom,
I did check it last night the minute after reading your comments and all looks good including the governor arm and spring...Will try to remove it after work today.

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
i removed my spark plug and it looks ok but decided to go ahead and replace it. Problem i cannot put the coil cap back on with the rubber on top of the spark plug. Do i need the black rubber? It was on the spark plug when i removed it, why now its a problem fitting in the coil cap?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9e6r2xgvtubav3/Photo%20May%2031%2C%206%2026%2031%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i6opq7z84zp8xk/Photo%20May%2031%2C%206%2026%2020%20PM.jpg?dl=0