$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; 2.0

Author Topic: 2.0  (Read 7080 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« on: April 04, 2018, 07:31:36 AM »
Sounds like there will be some major changes this time.... Wonder what engine they moved to, this should be interesting.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 11
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Re: 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
Looking forward to them releasing more info.  A 35% HP increase would fall in the 9 to 10HP range.  So I would guess either the EX27 or EX30, unless they switch brands again.  But I'm most interested in the "completely overhauled electronics"!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
Time will tell. With Subaru getting out of the small engine industry last year the engine change was expected, but moving to the "big block" version of the power plant isn't going to make the boat any faster. An EX27 spinning the pump at 4000 rpm isn't going to go any faster than a EX21 at 4000 rpm. How fast it gets to 4000 rpm is the only advantage, and that really isn't an issue with any motor that's been in a Mokai. For Mokai to claim a 35% increase in power, that's a pretty big carrot to dangle so I expect there is something more to it than that. As far as the electronics go, they definitely needed a complete overhaul. I'm interested in seeing what they came up with this time too.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 09:05:50 AM »
Yeah, I also do not see the point of a HP increase unless it gets a pump overhaul as well.  Like you said, whats the point of a 35% increase when running the same pump at the same RPMs.  Now if they put that 35% power increase into pumping more water through a bigger impeller then we would see a benefit.  But if the pump remains the same it'll just weigh the boat down and burn more fuel. ha

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
Yup, and I don't see them doing anything to the pump. I expect to see that part of the boat backwards compatible for many years. A power increase that would translate to more rpm, would mean more speed, if they found an air cooled motor that would spin the pump 4500+ rpm.... yeah, that would be the ticket but I don't see it happening. lol Possible they could have switched to the Briggs Animal motor, that would make sense.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »
Same old Mokai, just comes with a free treadmill. Lol
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
I would rather have %35 more speed! Is that it in the middle, where's Waldo?

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »
Where's our update from Mokai??!!  Haha. I've been checking the "News" link for a couple weeks now expecting more info.  Apparently reservations for 2.0 open in less than 2 weeks, so I'd expect them to advertise details about the 2.0 changes so people know just what they're reserving!  If not, I guess we'll have to wait until July when they are shipping. 

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 05:49:36 PM »
I doubt anyone will see anything until it's been delivered. Once they start shipping, they'll start thinking about updating their site with the new specs. Historically, it's taken them a long time. If you are placing an order, you might be able squeeze some details from them with the promise not to share that info with anyone. Just guess of course, but it's an educated one.   :D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »
Ahhh... I certainly won't be placing an order.... But hopefully another member does and "doesn't share" and of the details with us  :D.  I'm the type that studies the specs before I buy stuff... Especially the larger purchases.  So it's hard for me to imagine dropping $5,600 ($6k with shipping) on something and having no clue what I was buying.  That alone would actually make me not buy something. Haha.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:48 PM »
I totally agree. Many will take the chance believing what they were told will be true. I'm anxious to see what was changed, looking forward to hearing from those who can "keep a secret". Somebody will be up for wanting to be the first one to spill the beans. LOL  :D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »
Update with additional info just off Mokai.com...larger and new kohler engine, neutral, etc. Interesting.......John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
After all the years of them telling everyone how neutral is an unsafe and bad idea...................... they finally decide to swallow their pride and steal my idea.  :)) 

I was expecting a 1" shaft to ensure incompatibility with my clutch, but I will admit I didn't see neutral coming from them. I wonder if they realize that 9.5 hp at 4000 rpm isn't going to go any faster than 7 hp at 4000 rpm?? Not to mention how much extra weight they added with that bigger motor (80 lbs!!!!) . This will be interesting. The only improvement I see is possibly the molded seat, that sounds promising. Electronics are still a nightmare waiting to happen in a boat like this....  :D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 12:05:19 PM »
Very interesting info.  Can't wait to see some members get a 2.0 and hearing about it!  Looking at the Kohler 9.5 (CH395) specs, it appears its dry weight is 61.5lbs.  There is also a option for the CH395 in the service manual for a built in clutch... but its combined in a 2:1 gear reduction unit.  Makes me ponder if they made their own clutch, or if they are using the Kohler one... but if they went that route, they would have to redesign their pump for a lower RPM, higher torque application.  Regardless of the output RPMs from this new engine, I don't think they would drop in a bigger more powerful engine, without making use of that extra power.  From an engineering standpoint, it just wouldn't make sense to... So I'm speculating there will be some change to the pump to move more water with the extra torque at the same RPMs.  We will see!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »
Dry weight on the electric start model is 80 lbs, not the 61.5 you saw, and that's for the ES motor without the gearbox and clutch. From an engineering standpoint Mokai has done several things in years past that made zero sense, so nothing would surprise me there. It would make sense to redesign the pump to work with the new engine, but if I had to bet I'd say nothing was changed there. If they used the Kohler clutch, the motor would have to be offset to line up with the pump shaft, things sure would be tight if that motor does fit in there. I hope they made the air plenum larger and got rid of the "cold air" bridge, the EX21 overheated with it and that 9.5 is going to need twice as much airflow.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com