$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Secondary Dash with Tach, Temp and USB power.

Author Topic: Secondary Dash with Tach, Temp and USB power.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Secondary Dash with Tach, Temp and USB power.
« on: January 19, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
I finally got around to getting this project done.  When I got my ES-Kape last summer I ordered a tach and oil temp sensor, but never installed them.  Since its freezing outside, I have been getting stuff done on the Mokai that I had been putting off.  I wanted to try and use the AUX circuit to run my temp gauge from the engine compartment, through the stock Mokai wire loom, up to the cockpit.  After doing some testing and a proof of concept, it turned out to work perfect.  On my boat, the AUX switch and breaker controlled the unused 2 prong switchcraft female connector on the engine.  Because I couldn't think of a good use to have a switchable circuit in the engine compartment, I decided to use that circuit for my temp.  I would run my tach off the kill switch in the control panel (from another post on here).  While I was ordering some connectors, I got to thinking that since the switch and breaker were no longer being used, maybe I could find a USB outlet and wire it onto that circuit... and I did... with a voltmeter built in!  I'll use that USB to charge\power my GPS that is mounted on the front.   
>:D

So my secondary dash has a Tachometer, Oil temp sensor, and a dual outlet USB\Voltmeter.  The USB\Voltmeter can be turned off by flipping the AUX switch.  The 12v accessory stock plug (cigarette lighter style plug) on the control panel is untouched and works as it did stock.  The only thing that was stock that I changed, was disconnecting the AUX wire from the busbar to connect it to my temp sensor.  All the other connections were on the busbars in the control panel, so I just screwed my new wires onto the stock busbars.  I did drill a new hole in the control panel to route my wires to my secondary panel with a deutsch connector in between.  The whole thing is waterproof and all the connections are soldered and heat shrunk.  Since I didn't modify any of the stock electrical I can easily unplug this secondary panel and screw the AUX wire back to its spot on the bus bar and it'll be back to stock.

One thing I'll mention, the longer the wire between the oil temp sensor and the temp LCD, the more resistance, and the lower the temp readout.  There is a 2 degree difference between plugging the LCD into the oil sensor directly, and it being run through the longer wire.  This was the same case with the 6' Trail Tech extension cable I bought when I originally ordered it, so I was not concerned with 2 degrees.

If anyone is interested in any of the stuff I used, lemme know and I'll post some links.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:35:41 PM by OutdoorAdv »

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Secondary Dash with Tach, Temp and USB power.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:11 PM »
Great job, very clean work. Where did you source your project box from? Thanks for posting this, very good info for all the ES-kape guys!  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:17:41 PM »
Thanks Tom!

The box: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072JCQDCW
The black waterproof connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MDTUIIA

Have you ever seen a tinytach keep the wrong running hour meter time?  The RPMs are spot on, but the hour meter seems off to me. I didn't think I ran it for 37 minutes, so I just went out and put a timer on my phone for 3 minutes, ran the motor, and the tinytach incremented 4 minutes.  Not that big a deal, but makes me wonder if it's faulty... It should keep the right time.

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:28:05 PM »
My thoughts exactly on the nice clean job. 👌
If I keep adding electronics like cameras and fishfinder, Iíll have to update my connections too.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:36:58 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:00:31 AM »
Thanks Tom!

Have you ever seen a tinytach keep the wrong running hour meter time?  The RPMs are spot on, but the hour meter seems off to me. I didn't think I ran it for 37 minutes, so I just went out and put a timer on my phone for 3 minutes, ran the motor, and the tinytach incremented 4 minutes.  Not that big a deal, but makes me wonder if it's faulty... It should keep the right time.

Cool, thanks for the links. FYI the black things are cable glands, just for sealing a cable as it enters the box, not connectors in case someone doesn't catch that.

I don't know about accuracy, those things are meant really as a means to keep track of maintenance. The knock off versions I use don't register in minutes, it shows for example "30.1" and so on. Never really checked to see if my 1.5 hour trip registered the same on the hourmeter, might have to remember to note that next time I'm out. 
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 47
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
Thanks Tom!

Bought two of these on Amazon for about $9 per unit. Wrap the wire around the spark plug wire, so far so good; both Mokaiís have been accurate.

Do you think there may be occasional interference due to your Tiny Tach wire running close to the Trail Tech and new box?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZQ756Q?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 10:16:49 AM »
Cool, thanks for the links. FYI the black things are cable glands, just for sealing a cable as it enters the box, not connectors in case someone doesn't catch that.

Thanks again man.  I used to do residential electrical work and the function of those things reminded me of the screw clamp connectors for electrical boxes... so I defaulted to calling them "connectors" haha.  First time I ever used those glands and they are pretty awesome.  I ordered that variety pack so I had different sizes to use and tons left over for any future projects.

If anyone is interested, the Male connector for the female 2 prong AUX plug on the engine is this

https://www.alliedelec.com/switchcraft-en3c2m16x/70214331/

The Switchcraft part number is: EN3C2M16X

I could have just removed that female plug from the engine panel and wired my sensor to the wire, but I wanted to leave it in just in case I decided I wanted that circuit back at some point in the future.

Bought two of these on Amazon for about $9 per unit. Wrap the wire around the spark plug wire, so far so good; both Mokaiís have been accurate.

Do you think there may be occasional interference due to your Tiny Tach wire running close to the Trail Tech and new box?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZQ756Q?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Thanks CC-Coder!  I should pick up one of those hour meters to reconcile the time on my tinytach.  I don't think the improper hour time has to do with interference.  The interference could cause the RPM value to be wrong when running due to electrical noise, but the RPM values seem correct with the clutch engaging right at 1900.  When the engine is off the tinytach displays the hour meter, when its running it displays the RPM.  So the timer should start in the tinytach when it switches from not receiving a signal, to having a signal.  Whatever keeps the time inside mine doesn't appear to be working... perhaps its keeping metric seconds  :)  I'm not too concerned about the time being off as long as the RPMs are correct.  The tinytach wire is shielded coax with a ground to eliminate noise.  I used larger cable glands just in case I find there is noise affecting it and I need to run the tinytach coax line directly to the engine in the future.

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »
We got temps in the mid 60's today and since I had the boat all together from working on it yesterday, I decided to take it out.  I couldn't be happier with what I've done to it this winter.  Since I put it away last fall, I expanded the intake plenum and chopped off the carb branch, added Tom's hull bearing grease system and did the secondary dash from this thread.  I just did 15 miles and I was getting sustained 4100 RPMs @ WOT, oil temps between 200 and 225, 9 MPH up river and 14 MPH down river.  The AUX USB circuit is awesome... it completely charged my GPS while I was running up river.  I don't have to worry about making sure my GPS is charged before going out anymore.  The last project I plan on doing to this boat is fabricating a cold air intake and then I'll be done outfitting it (until my electronics burn up and I buy Tom's cable conversion kit. ha)

Only downfall today was dodging icebergs!  The first launch I tried was frozen out 20 feet into the river, so I moved up the road to a south facing launch and was able to get the boat in.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:32:17 PM »
Outstanding! Glad to hear your results were on target, I know you felt a big difference! I can't image dodging ice, that's a foreign concept around these parts. LOL I imagine it could be fun to some degree, 60 sounds about right.   :D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
We got temps in the mid 60's today and since I had the boat all together from working on it yesterday, I decided to take it out.  I couldn't be happier with what I've done to it this winter.  Since I put it away last fall, I expanded the intake plenum and chopped off the carb branch, added Tom's hull bearing grease system and did the secondary dash from this thread.  I just did 15 miles and I was getting sustained 4100 RPMs @ WOT, oil temps between 200 and 225, 9 MPH up river and 14 MPH down river.  The AUX USB circuit is awesome... it completely charged my GPS while I was running up river.  I don't have to worry about making sure my GPS is charged before going out anymore.  The last project I plan on doing to this boat is fabricating a cold air intake and then I'll be done outfitting it (until my electronics burn up and I buy Tom's cable conversion kit. ha)

Only downfall today was dodging icebergs!  The first launch I tried was frozen out 20 feet into the river, so I moved up the road to a south facing launch and was able to get the boat in.

A real professional job done !!  We all would like to see video of your trips... hint.....hint...

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »
Outstanding! Glad to hear your results were on target, I know you felt a big difference! I can't image dodging ice, that's a foreign concept around these parts. LOL I imagine it could be fun to some degree, 60 sounds about right.   :D

60 degrees of fun is about right with the ice.  :D  I'm looking forward to the ice being gone.

A real professional job done !!  We all would like to see video of your trips... hint.....hint...

Thanks The Man!  Hint received. If I ever head to an interesting area, I'll shoot some video... that ice would have been a good one.

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
Lots of good stuff in this forum. Nice to see the health of my engine while cruising...So I know when its time to stop and go back to the ramp.
Is there a writeup here where it tells everything needed to install these tiny tach and trail tech oil temp sensor for my GC 190. Links showing what to buy and where to buy those.

Thank you

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
I already know the parts and where to buy except for the fill plug size. Sorry i also posted this item in other topic.