$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Fishfinder

Author Topic: Fishfinder  (Read 1283 times)

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
Fishfinder
« on: December 13, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
Iím looking at Hummingbird and Lowrance tutorials and came across this video. Thoughts from those with a fishfinder would be appreciated.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUhb9Z0w3Rc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUhb9Z0w3Rc</a>

https://deepersonar.com/us/kayak-fishing/?utm_source=paddling&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=kayak1&utm_campaign=fb%20%5Bus&utm_source=paddling.com+subscriber+list&utm_campaign=59be34cad2-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_12_12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f2ead8a079-59be34cad2-213172661
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline fairweatherfisherman

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: Honda
  • Model Year: 2006
Re: Fishfinder
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
I spend a lot of time looking at my sonar unit. The technology has come a very long way in the last 10 years. I get the best unit on the market and replace it every 4 years or so, when a new product cycle provides enough incremental value to make it worthwhile. The 2d sonar "secret sauce" is the programming that interprets what it sees. The newer downscan sonar is more like a photograph, where you actually see what is down there. A tree looks just like a tree, not an abstract representation of a tree. When I'm fishing in the small rivers, I usually only care about depth and water temp, which a cheap unit provides just as well as an expensive one. In larger rivers and lakes that is where the more competent units pay for themselves. A somewhat less costly unit that some of my friends use a Garmin, but nearly everyone else has gone with Humminbird, unless they were already invested in Lowrance technology. Humminbird has superior customer service being the primary reason as the are "neck and neck" on the technology.

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
I spend a lot of time looking at my sonar unit. The technology has come a very long way in the last 10 years. I get the best unit on the market and replace it every 4 years or so, when a new product cycle provides enough incremental value to make it worthwhile. The 2d sonar "secret sauce" is the programming that interprets what it sees. The newer downscan sonar is more like a photograph, where you actually see what is down there. A tree looks just like a tree, not an abstract representation of a tree. When I'm fishing in the small rivers, I usually only care about depth and water temp, which a cheap unit provides just as well as an expensive one. In larger rivers and lakes that is where the more competent units pay for themselves. A somewhat less costly unit that some of my friends use a Garmin, but nearly everyone else has gone with Humminbird, unless they were already invested in Lowrance technology. Humminbird has superior customer service being the primary reason as the are "neck and neck" on the technology.

Fairweatherfisherman, thanks for the critique of the models and especially the customer service thought. Anymore I look to that as a reason to buy things instead of customer reviews. At this point, I'll probably look towards the Hummingbird models.  I have the option of putting it on my wife's Mokai if I don't like it. Lol
After watching many tutorials, I like the idea of the down scan sonar since I'll be fishing mainly large lakes and rivers. Plus I couldn't tell a stump from a fish. Hehe
You can checkout some of my videos I posted to get a glimpse of the fun we had since picking up our boats last May in Ludowici after Tom's many upgrades.

Does the down scan sonar work through the hull?
Did you go through the hull like Tom's Hummingbird set-up?

Did you watch the YouTube link of the unit used from shore?

If I didn't purchase a Mokai, I would probably be very interested in that one.

Thanks again - Chuck
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
I did not go through hull. I don't think it is recommended.  I attach this:

https://www.springcreek.com/product/paddle-sports/universal-receiver/

using this so I can remove it

https://www.springcreek.com/product/paddle-sports/kayak-mounting-brackets/

and attach transducer with this

https://www.springcreek.com/product/paddle-sports/snap-on-transducer/

I didn't watch the shore thing. When I fish from the shore it is usually on very small creeks or rivers that I take the kids to fish and you can see the bottom.

If you get the down scan, get the biggest screen you can afford. The bigger the better. If just traditional sonar, a small unit works fine.

Here is one of a half dozen I caught day before yesterday. Not from the Mokai though. I also have a big jet boat.

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 09:45:22 PM »
I finally went out and bought a Humminbird Helix 5 fishfinder this week. Really wanted the Helix 7 but it looked huge for the limited space on the Mokai.
One question I have is how do I hook it up to the power supply? Please keep the terminology at a 3rd grade level. (Lol)
As far as I can tell, it would be to a cigarette lighter type in order to insert into DC adapter Tom installed. Similar to this post I found. --- https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/182057-cigarette-lighter-adapter-for-fish-finder/

Pictures of whats in the box are attached.

🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 10:31:37 PM »
Thanks, looks elementary as in 3rd grade-ish. Lol
Is it possible to use one of those power banks as a power supply? If I bought another power cord, is there an adapter that could be attached similar to the cigarette lighter ?
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 11:15:53 PM »
Iíve got a Helix 12 on my big jet boat. I run it from a separate dedicated battery to minimize interference with other electronics like trolling motor, bait tank, bilge pumps, etc. I go direct to the battery with an in-line fuse. I havenít checked the amp draw on the Helix yet, but my ONIX could pull down a battery pretty fast. Donít know what it would do for the boat performance but Iíve used the U1 AGM batteries from West Marine and bass pro shops for years. They are 32 amp hours, so would probably power you all day. They weigh 24 pounds. There are also motorcycle batteries that Iíve used for really light loads. Odyssey also makes an assortment of smaller AGM batteries. Iíve used them for bait tanks and emergency spare trolling motor batteries. I know you will love that Helix.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 11:17:34 PM »
If you find the right connector you can use the 12v output next to the power in jack.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 11:43:41 PM »
If you find the right connector you can use the 12v output next to the power in jack.

I thought that port might be an option. I'll probably use the cigarette lighter port you installed for me but always looking for backups. Thanks for the link and advice as always!
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 11:52:25 PM »
Iíve got a Helix 12 on my big jet boat. I run it from a separate dedicated battery to minimize interference with other electronics like trolling motor, bait tank, bilge pumps, etc. I go direct to the battery with an in-line fuse. I havenít checked the amp draw on the Helix yet, but my ONIX could pull down a battery pretty fast. Donít know what it would do for the boat performance but Iíve used the U1 AGM batteries from West Marine and bass pro shops for years. They are 32 amp hours, so would probably power you all day. They weigh 24 pounds. There are also motorcycle batteries that Iíve used for really light loads. Odyssey also makes an assortment of smaller AGM batteries. Iíve used them for bait tanks and emergency spare trolling motor batteries. I know you will love that Helix.

Thanks for the tips. If I get the 24 pound battery and catch a fish like the one you caught below, I might be swimming with the fishes.  :) 
Hope the Helix 5 can help me spot them like yours does. Been watching many YT videos on how to read the Helix and adjust the settings. Seems like a video game, just need to play with it to learn what works best.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »
Hey Chuck,  I have Ray-marine Dragonfly 5 on my Stik, and  I power it with  Nocqua  Pro Power Kit 10 Ah.  It weights 1.4 lbs. \./8
I've gone out fishing 3 times for about 4 hours each time and the battery still has power left over.   You can hunt around for the best price.  Go to www.nocqua.com and check it out.

Good Luck ,John

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 12:08:09 AM »
Thanks John, I'll look at what they offer. I see they have a retailer near my sister's place in Pa.  :)
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️