$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Cooling fan question\idea

Author Topic: Cooling fan question\idea  (Read 1285 times)

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Cooling fan question\idea
« on: November 18, 2017, 11:00:42 AM »
Hey guys, I wanted to see if any of you messed around with something like this.  I have the HDPE that I was going to use to expand my intake plenum this winter.  But before I chopped it up, I did some googling and came across this Marine Attwood 12v Blower fan for specifically ventilating engine compartments.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0DE9E  It's listed as water resistant and provides ventilation for engine compartments, galleys, bilges, and heads.

I figured someone on here has to have messed around with this to increase the airflow in the engine compartment.  At $19 shipped its a cheap experiment and apparently pumps out a lot of air.  Specs says it draws 2.5amps.  I haven't checked the aux circuit on my Es-Kape to see its amperage, but I'm sure it could handle something like this.  My thought was to cut a hole in my engine compartment cover and use this fan to pump air down to the bottom of the compartment... then just let the hot air leave in the existing holes in the cover.  That Attwood fan is reviewed extremely high with lots of reviews... however based on some comments the only downside is that it makes a good amount of noise.  If I went this route, I'd probably run the fan on the Aux switch circuit and use it while the engine is running and maybe for a couple minutes after I stop the engine to pump the hot air out.

I can't possibly be the first one to bring a cooling fan up, but 5 second search on here didn't bring up any results that jumped out at me.  Let me know what you guys think and if this has been discussed in the past.  Unless there are any big issues you guys can see with this, I may give it a shot and let you guys know how it goes.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Cooling fan question\idea
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »
That won't help cool the engine in lieu of enlarging the plenum. The air that cools the engine comes from the plenum via the flywheel fan, your aux fan would just help circulate air from the engine compartment that has already exited the engine cooling system. The charging system could handle the fan while at full throttle, but part throttle to idle you would run your battery down. Enlarge your plenum like I did mine, and leave the fans out of the picture would be my suggestion. I can run any of my 3 Mokai at full throttle all day, and not have any heat issues. I lose a little rpm on my 2003 without the water cooled muffler, but not enough to cry over.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 04:33:03 PM »
Thanks Tom!  I'll keep it simple then and just enlarge the plenum like you recommend.  My thoughts on the fan was increasing air circulation in the engine compartment by pumping in cooler outside air to displace and push out the hot air in the engine compartment.  I realize that wouldn't increase the circulation across the flywheel fan that cools the engine, but I figured if the compartment was running cooler, then it would help the engine run cooler.  Its a lot of fabrication to test though and if you don't think its worthwhile then I will just enlarge the plenum.  Thanks a ton man.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
Glad to help. It works out kinda' like cutting holes in the hood of your car to add ventilation to an engine that is overheating because the radiator is too small.  If you need help with the plenum just let me know, I've enlarged many.  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline OutdoorAdv

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »
Haha.  Good analogy!  I'll let you know if I have any questions when I chop it up.