$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Truck Transport Mokai Sled

Author Topic: Truck Transport Mokai Sled  (Read 3248 times)

Offline msfitoyfactory

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: 9.5 hp
  • Model Year: 2020
Re: Truck Transport Mokai Sled
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »
I wanted to share a solution I came up with to load and launch my Mokai in my Tacoma truck bed.  Unfortunately with my HOA I cant have a trailer.  I was using a canoe dolly to launch it and it was a pain to get the dolly strapped to the stern.  I also had to remove the engine to reduce the weight and use the dolly.  In addition, the heavy stern cantilevering off the tailgate was a concern with stressing the hull during transportation.

I made it with a couple 2x4's and then some scrap I had laying around.  The axle is a piece of pipe with 1/2" bar stock through it.  I did drill and tap a zerk fitting on the pipe just to keep the inside greased so it didn't rust when putting it in and out of the water.  The hull was angled at 15 degrees, so by toeing in the 2x4's I was able to get the Mokai to really lock onto the sled.  When pulling it out of the water, I put the sled in the water and pull the Mokai up on it.  The angled boards really guide it onto the sled and it corrects itself.

That's genius!  I like to make something like this for my flat bed utility trailer when I pick up my new Mokai in a few months.  Do you mind sharing the dimensions like the width and length?  Thanks much...

Offline Mr. Murphy's Law

• Cool Points: 4
  • If I have to explain the UN, you'd not understand
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 06:10:38 PM »
I bought this rig from OA, if he doesn't reply then I can, given a day or two, get you the specs....unless you're close to Greenville SC. then you can just come look.
I hide in the shadows, I hide in the Light ...and just when you think everything is going fine...I LEAP out and strike !!!

Offline msfitoyfactory

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 09:34:49 PM »
I bought this rig from OA, if he doesn't reply then I can, given a day or two, get you the specs....unless you're close to Greenville SC. then you can just come look.
Thank you...from the best dead reckoning I could do with the photo, it appears to be 13" apart...if you can confirm that I'd appreciate that very much

Offline Mr. Murphy's Law

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »
Thank you...from the best dead reckoning I could do with the photo, it appears to be 13" apart...if you can confirm that I'd appreciate that very much

here's what I got

Overall length without the handle 8 foot...with handle, 9'1"

inside of the 2x4s(top of sled/boat bottom) at the top is 10-1/2" ....bottom(ground side): 11-3/4"....width at handle end and wheel end are the same overall

2x4s scabbed on the sides are 47-1/2" long,  They are inset from the wheel end 4-3/8"

inside of the wheels is 23"...wheels are 11" dia

if you need more let me know and I'll do my best to get any other measurements you might need
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:22:28 PM by Mr. Murphy's Law »
I hide in the shadows, I hide in the Light ...and just when you think everything is going fine...I LEAP out and strike !!!

Offline msfitoyfactory

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 09:34:50 PM »
here's what I got

Overall length without the handle 8 foot...with handle, 9'1"

inside of the 2x4s(top of sled/boat bottom) at the top is 10-1/2" ....bottom(ground side): 11-3/4"....width at handle end and wheel end are the same overall

2x4s scabbed on the sides are 47-1/2" long,  They are inset from the wheel end 4-3/8"

inside of the wheels is 23"...wheels are 11" dia

if you need more let me know and I'll do my best to get any other measurements you might need
Wow I was off...what do you mean by "2x4s scabbed on the sides are 47-1/2" long,  They are inset from the wheel end 4-3/8"?

Thank you so much for this info \./8
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:39:35 PM by msfitoyfactory »

Offline Mr. Murphy's Law

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 04:32:27 PM »
Wow I was off...what do you mean by "2x4s scabbed on the sides are 47-1/2" long,  They are inset from the wheel end 4-3/8"?

Thank you so much for this info \./8

Hey, in OA OP he posted several pics...the 2nd pic shows the original layout with just single 2x4s ...in a followup reply(#7) he shows the partial(47-1/2 inch) 2x4s he added for additional strength/rigidity, those are the "scabbed" ones I referenced.

they are 4-3/8" inset from the wheel end as shown in the same pic.

anything else you need just ask .   

Offline msfitoyfactory

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »
Getting started...raw lumber not cut to size yet...planning on design that slot together and quick disassemble...