$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Motor mount play

Author Topic: Motor mount play  (Read 833 times)

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 16
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Motor mount play
« on: October 05, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »
I noticed a slight rattling sound at 2000-3000 rpms. Pushing motor down with one hand eliminates the sound, releasing the hand bring the sound back. After stopping and cooling motor I tried to rock it by hand and sure enough, it moves it by few millimeters in port-starboard direction only. Basically, it is a bit loose. All the bolts on the motor side of the mount and boat side of the mount are perfectly tight. So it seem that there is a bit too much play in plastic rings  - those that couple with metal pins on the motor. Could that become or cause some  problem? I do not mind the sound, it is hardly noticeable, but sound probably means that there is extra vibration... I am thinking about putting some thin kapton tape on pins - it supposed to handle high temperature just fine. Or maybe just heatshrink tubing. What do you gentlemen think?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Motor mount play
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 06:36:50 PM »
I haven't noticed anything loose on mine yet, but a little loose isn't something I would be concerned about as long as all the hardware is tight and it really is a clearance situation between the guide pins and holes.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 16
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »
That's reassuring, thanks, Tom. By any chance, do you know if the plastic inserts inside the holes are removable/replaceable?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »
No idea, I've never had any reason to give them any thought. I'm sure they're just pressed in, so they could be knocked out and replaced somehow. Couldn't be too hard.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com