$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Stik boat kickstarter Campaign

Author Topic: Stik boat kickstarter Campaign  (Read 4364 times)

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
Re: Stik boat kickstarter Campaign
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:05 PM »
Stikboat owner can research on Wetlander paint. I applied this in my Gheenoe bottom hull last year and still looks good. I applied it when it was new. I would do it again if i buy one of this Stikboat to protect the bottom.

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 12
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »
Sounds like an interesting product. Will it adhere to the fiberglass gel coat okay? Fiberglass by itself is pretty slick stuff, but no doubt it's going to get beat up like any boat bottom would. I scratched mine in a number of places, but most everything is just superficial at this point. I'm finding that the gelcoat does crack or craze at stress points, but overall is pretty durable stuff. I am careful to keep mine covered as soon as I get it out of the water, as I know fiberglass is prone to fading from UV.

Troy
Best,
Troy

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »
i called stikboat and theres a year wait. out of stock wow big demand...

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »
Actually they only had about 50 boats to begin with, and now they're working on a completely new design. It's going to be more of a micro skiff, so the only Stik boats to be had will be used. The new boat is just in the prototype phase at this point.

Troy
Best,
Troy

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »
Actually they only had about 50 boats to begin with, and now they're working on a completely new design. It's going to be more of a micro skiff, so the only Stik boats to be had will be used. The new boat is just in the prototype phase at this point.

Troy

Will you post some video or pictures soon?
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »
What would you like to see? I can shoot some video this weekend.

Troy
Best,
Troy

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 01:04:04 AM »
Hey Troy,  I see other people are interested in the Stik.    Took mine to the lake a couple of weeks ago, and I would like to share my experience with you to see if you have any thoughts on a fix.    The conditions were perfect, about 2 mph wind with little surface ripples on the water.  Got her up to 24 mph at 6000 rpms.  Everything was fine till I hit a glass like surface for about a mile.   I started to loose control and couldn't keep the boat going straight.   Had to reduce the speed to 14 mph just to control the direction.
I text-ed Austin in Texas about the issue, he said because the boat has no keel, the bottom has nothing to grab on to the water surface.
He suggested a keel guard with all the groves.  I contacted Gator Guard, and they said place the guard as high in the front and all the way to the rear within 1" inch of the intake plate.
If I remove all of the shims out of the intake plate, do you think that would make a difference towards the good?

I was planning on taking a video, but was to scared for fear of loosing my camera.

Looking forward on seeing the new Stik. >:D

John

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 03:00:57 AM »
I have a few suggestions:

Do NOT remove the shims from the ride plate. You'll get cavitation beyond belief. I suggest using the 10 mm, and  if you're lightweight, you may even try combining the 10 with the 5mm. You want more of the boat in contact with the water for directional steering. Of course the flipside is you're going to lose some top speed. Even with the 10 mm you should be able to hit 25.

The second thing is the Stik boat does much better at high speed. It's a completely different animal. You'll have far more difficulty keeping the boat tracking straight at midrange speeds. I knows it might go against your intuition, but instead of slowing down, speed up! No joking. Have you watched my video at 25mph?

The last thing is an adjustment to the steering . I was just talking to Tom about this. In theory the stick should be straight up and down, and the nozzle perpendicular to the Stern to go straight.  That's great on land, but  I can just about guarantee you will get different results in the water due to centrifugal force of the impeller.  Notice where you have to biased the joy stick in the water. Then, adjust the cables to compensate. You'll have to loosen one side and tighten the other. I would also leave a little bit of play in the cable, so little tiny adjustments don't send you out of control.

The best advice I can give is steady speed, and slight adjustments. Keep your eye on the horizon, not on the bow of the boat. I can now steer the boat within a foot of just about anything, but it's taken me several years of practice. Don't panic, and let up on the throttle or think that slowing down is going to help you steer. It won't. It's kind of counter intuitive, but it works! The sweet spot is up around 20mph. At 9-10 the boat is horrible to steer.

I suggest practicing without anybody around you could hurt! I was out last Saturday maneuvering around other kayaks and coming within a foot of them, zigzagging my way through. It's quite possible.

Troy
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:02:35 AM by Mokai Dreamin' »
Best,
Troy

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 10:30:28 AM »
What would you like to see? I can shoot some video this weekend.

Troy

Maybe a tour of the boat (inside/out). Footage from shore as you go by and whatever else to impress us. Lol
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
Check this video out. This should show you more about the boat than I ever could.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmKqFbC6dI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmKqFbC6dI</a>

Here's one more:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmr9SBiZK7k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmr9SBiZK7k</a>
Best,
Troy

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
Check this video out. This should show you more about the boat than I ever could.

Ooops, that link didn't work for some reason.

Here's the link. I guess I don't know how to upload videos here--sorry about that. Maybe Tom can edit to make the link work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmKqFbC6dI

Here's one more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmr9SBiZK7k

You were close. Just click the YT icon above, paste the link between the brackets, then delete the "s" in https and select Post.

So the Aquanami in the video is the same boat named Stik-boat on the Kickstarter?
Maybe you can show some pictures of the engine compartment.
Can you stand up on the front of the boat?
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2018, 11:34:13 AM »

You were close. Just click the YT icon above, paste the link between the brackets, then delete the "s" in https and select Post.

So the Aquanami in the video is the same boat named Stik-boat on the Kickstarter?
Maybe you can show some pictures of the engine compartment.
Can you stand up on the front of the boat?

Yeap, nearly identical. Different carb, heat exchanger and few other tweaks, but essentially the same boat. Stik just rebranded after some tweaks.

Troy
Best,
Troy

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »
Hey Troy,  Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try adding the 5mm shim to the 10 mm shim to see if the response is any better.  I currently get cavitation up to 15 mph.
Slow speed steering hasn't been a problem for me so far.
On the gator shield,  the only issue I have is I will have to put a couple of bunk rails on my trailer bed so the shield doesn't rest directly on the trailer bed during transporting.   Gator says, direct pressure on the guard will cause it to fail and void the warranty.

In my pictures you can see I have my transducer on a swivel that I can raise when I travel at high speeds so I don't damage the adjustment rod.  I'm thinking about running the cable thru the hull to mount the transducer in the motor compartment or thru the back of the hull for attachment. We'll see.  Any thoughts?

I also separated the black compartment covers to make them single covers as oppose to double covers.

My seat is a little higher for ease of standing up, but it makes for an E ticket ride at 25 mph \./8

Thanks, John

Offline Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2018, 04:11:48 PM »
Sweet looking ride John! You've got it all tricked out. Mine is covered in an eighth of an inch of river silt. I ran the cable for my transducer through the same cable openings just below the seat.  (pic attached) It was a tight squeeze but I managed to get it through. I then used some of the slow setting epoxy, (to avoid air bubbles) and glued it to the hull right by the bilge pump. Prior to that I tried making a well with antifreeze, and putting some weight on it, but response was kind of erratic. After I glued it down no problems it works perfectly. I use one of the Scotty mounts to hold the actual fishfinder. Very easy to pop on-and-off the mount.

So, you didn't say if the gator guard improved your situation or not? I would be hesitant to spend 100 and something dollars if it does nothing to improve tracking. For me, I mostly go full bore. There are times where the water is choppy enough I need to slow down, and for me I typically have more problems steering at slower speeds than fast. As I mentioned the sweet spot for the boat seems to be up around 20 miles an hour.

I think as you spend more time with the boat you'll find it does become easier to steer. Compared to the Mokai though, it's day and night. In another year, Stik will have a replacement boat and will be offering trade-in vouchers fwiw. I know it would be quite easy to sell if you find you don't like yours for some reason. . At least a half-dozen people ask me what it is and where I got it every time I go to the river.
Best,
Troy

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2018, 09:41:49 PM »
Looking good you two! Can you stand and fish on the front platform?
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️