$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Stik boat kickstarter Campaign

Author Topic: Stik boat kickstarter Campaign  (Read 4347 times)

Online Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 12
  • Engine: Kohler
  • Model Year: 2019 ES-Kape 2.0
Stik boat kickstarter Campaign
« on: September 09, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »
Hello folks:

Let me first say I'm not in any way associated with Stik boats, and not receiving any compensation for my post.

I've owned the Stik boat for the last couple of years, and it's been interesting watching the company grow from scratch. They've had some ups and downs, but seem committed to making this boat better.

For somebody looking for an alternative to a Mokai, this may very well be it. It's hard to compare the two as they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, here's an opportunity to get one at a reduced price via the kick starter campaign.

If nothing else take a look at the video;  it's intriguing to see what they're doing and view some video of the boat in action.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stikboats/stik-boat-the-one-and-only-personal-fishing-craft?ref=334123&token=31e082cd

I also have a video up on YouTube showing what the boat can do at full throttle. I was able to get it up to about 25 miles an hour. I have no doubts the claim of 27 miles an hour would be possible if you're somewhere around 160 pounds.

Enjoy!

Troy
Best,
Troy

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
Re: Stik boat kickstarter Campaign
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 05:38:35 PM »
Hello folks:

Let me first say I'm not in any way associated with Stik boats, and not receiving any compensation for my post.

I've owned the Stik boat for the last couple of years, and it's been interesting watching the company grow from scratch. They've had some ups and downs, but seem committed to making this boat better.

For somebody looking for an alternative to a Mokai, this may very well be it. It's hard to compare the two as they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, here's an opportunity to get one at a reduced price via the kick starter campaign.

If nothing else take a look at the video;  it's intriguing to see what they're doing and view some video of the boat in action.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stikboats/stik-boat-the-one-and-only-personal-fishing-craft?ref=334123&token=31e082cd

I also have a video up on YouTube showing what the boat can do at full throttle. I was able to get it up to about 25 miles an hour. I have no doubts the claim of 27 miles an hour would be possible if you're somewhere around 160 pounds.

Enjoy!

Troy

Very nice!! If I would have seen this a few years ago, I might have one or two today. This might be a future item on my bucket list. What brand engine are they using in the Stik boat?
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »
Hello folks:

Enjoy!

Troy

That's a nice boat but it wouldn't hold up to the rocks in Shallow areas I go in on rivers. Maybe one day they'll make an aluminum version, I would be all over that!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
Very nice!! If I would have seen this a few years ago, I might have one or two today. This might be a future item on my bucket list. What brand engine are they using in the Stik boat?

My understanding is the engine is proprietary, as is the jet pump etc.. You needs parts, you'll have to deal directly with them. One thing that is nice about the Mokai, the engine is readily available and others can be adapted if necessary. Not very likely with the Stik, you're pretty much stuck with what comes in it.

That's a nice boat but it wouldn't hold up to the rocks in Shallow areas I go in on rivers. Maybe one day they'll make an aluminum version, I would be all over that!

That would have some potential, I still don't like the "sit on top" design though. I look at the Stik like a sport bike, whereas the Mokai is a 4-wheeler.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »
Troy,
My son and I were looking at this just this weekend.  He lives in Virginia  and would not be in the rocks.  How is dependability?  Do they tend to capsize in waves?  Afraid a little tip over would seize the motor. We decided against getting a pair but your info could change that.  I read the service manual Lots of things for the dealer to take care of but where are dealers.  Also do you know how you would get the boat if ordered on kickstarter?  Thanks for any information.

Online Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 02:25:41 PM »
Troy,
My son and I were looking at this just this weekend.  He lives in Virginia  and would not be in the rocks.  How is dependability?  Do they tend to capsize in waves?  Afraid a little tip over would seize the motor. We decided against getting a pair but your info could change that.  I read the service manual Lots of things for the dealer to take care of but where are dealers.  Also do you know how you would get the boat if ordered on kickstarter?  Thanks for any information.

Hillbilly:

Stik boat has a Facebook page with contact information. I would suggest you talk with Chris, the owner and CEO directly. You may also want to talk with Mike, the master mechanic about specific engine questions too.

As to stability, you probably watched the video. It's a flat bottomed boat, so extremely stable. I've not had the opportunity to take it out into the ocean. Worst-case scenario for me was a 3+ foot wake from a passing boat. I've definitely caught some air with the boat at 20+ mph, and also come down at an angle. I have not ever come close to capsizing the thing. I'm sure if you drove it aggressively enough you probably could. That's really not my style of boating at 56.

All of the electronics are sealed with waterproof connectors. None of the actual cooling water goes through the engine, so parts are well protected from corrosion. They use a stainless steel heat exchanger for cooling . There's one for the oil and one for the antifreeze. Nothing more than a bungee cord to hold them down so they're easy to get out. The engine oil and antifreeze are then pumped through the heat exchanger, and water that gets delivered from the impeller goes through a second set of hoses. The arrangement is similar to a radiator in that you've got some very thin metal, and that's where the exchange of heat happens. Anyway, after going out into saltwater, you hook up a garden hose to a fitting and can back flush the entire thing. You still need to clean the impeller, and  engine bay, but it's pretty easy to flush out. There all is also a built-in bilge, and then a second bilge that is similar to what Tom installed on the Mokai.

The impeller/pump housing is very similar to a jet ski. I can say that things that would stop the Mokai cold pass right through the impeller. The fins are a whole lot larger, and well... you got a whole lot more horsepower pushing things through. The edges of the impeller are also somewhat sharp, so they will cut up small weed and such. I've slowed the thing down a few times with debris, but have managed to blow it out in route. So, in the last two years I've not been able to really clog it enough to have to dismantle. That part is totally different than the Mokai that required frequent cleaning. Of course, you just need to be smart about it too and not drive the boat over a pile of weeds or floating grass or something or you're asking for trouble.

Problems: Yes, I've had a few. I had one of the earlier prototypes, so was a bit of a guinea pig for the company. The relay and/or starter solenoid went out one of my first outings with the boat. The problem was traced back to the heat sink sitting directly on top of the electronics box, and  when it heated up it would do some strange things. The solution was a spacer, and it hasn't been a problem since.

The first carburetor had real problems with hot starting. The new Japanese carburetor works wonderfully.

Oil leaks. This is probably my biggest complaint. The heat exchanger has a lot of connections and many hoses.
They don't use anything more than spring tension clamps, and in my opinion are not adequate.  All those should come off and be replaced with gear driven clamps.  The  camshaft seal on mine has also been leaking. I think a lot of the problems I had with the boat is because they did not properly wash it down after being in the ocean. Taking the pump apart for the first time for example was a nightmare, as a lot of the bolts were corroded.  I had to use an easy out to remove the ride plate bolts.  You definitely have to wash the boat down after being in saltwater, and I don't believe they did. Mine was a demo.

As I mentioned in my original post, the boat has its strength and weaknesses. I believe one of the great things about the Mokai is it's simplicity.  Of course, if it wasn't for Tom's modifications I'm sure many people would feel a whole lot different about the boat.

The Stik boat solves many of the problems that Tom has dealt with on the Mokai.  You've got a water cooled engine.  There is no loss of power from heat buildup, and you can also get 100 hours out of the engine oil.  The exhaust goes underwater, and is also watercooled, so  the boat is almost boring for sound.  It just hums along at 25 miles an hour.  There are built-in gauges for the tachometer, fuel and charging.   Adding gasoline comes from the outside, and there is also a  oil drain plug to drain the oil from the outside. Things like the battery and heat exchangers are just held in place with bungee cords, so very easy to remove. It comes with a comfortable seat, and  about a half-dozen holders (scotty mounts) for accessories.

I would say the one thing that surprised me was how dry the boat runs.  You would think with that open cockpit  you would get soaked.  Nada.  Check out my u-tube video at full throttle and the water spray: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ajen_FpUb0

The only time I've ever gotten wet was hitting a head on wave at about 25 miles an hour, and that was more getting splashed than soaked. There was one time some spray from the pee hole cooling water hit me.  The wind was coming in just the right direction to spray some of that back on me. They have since relocated that port to the back.

Other issues:  cavitation.  I believe by next year they will have a design to eliminate this. I have tried a variety of shims to change the angle of the boat, and also tried a trim tab this year. If you go out in chop, you will definitely experience cavitation.

Tracking. Because this is a flat bottom boat and not V hull, the boat does not track anywhere as straight as the Mokai. At top speed it actually does pretty well, but at slower speeds it's really tough to keep straight. After about four or five outings I learned to kind of compensate. It takes a very light touch on the joystick. I think the boat would definitely benefit from some skegs or perhaps directional fins coming off the nozzle.

Lastly, the boat is made out of fiberglass. Lots of high-performance boats are made out of fiberglass. Jet skis are probably the best example of this. Is not as though you're going to hit something and sink the boat. Fiberglass tends to create a spiderweb when hit. The boat is also foam filled so you're not going to sink it. I could definitely see having to do some gelcoat repair or perhaps fiberglass repair of the hull if you were to hit a rock at 20 miles an hour. So far I hit a brick pretty good size rock coming into shore at about 8 miles an hour. It was enough to put the boat at about a 30 angle. One of those "oh *********" moments, but all it did was scratch the hull and destroyed the gelcoat.  The plus side to fiberglass is it's really quiet, and you can buff out to make it look new again. This is definitely not a boat for the shallow rivers with lots of rocks.

What I like about it, and one of the things I liked about the Mokai is its size and  ease of getting in and out of the water.  You can take a lightweight aluminum trailer designed for kayaks or a canoe and launch this thing. I'm pretty sure you could even pull it was something like a Prius-- it's that light.   Being able to buzz upstream at 22 miles an hour  has put the joy back into boating for me. The Mokai  in the same spot would do about 7 to 8 miles an hour.   Downstream I can hit 25, and  I have no doubt if you're in the 150 to 160 range,  you could get 27 or 28 miles an hour.  I talked with a guy with a large boat at the ramp with 110 hp jet, and  even he could not go that fast!  Combine these kinds of speeds with a boat that can float in 3 inches of water is pretty impressive.

This boat is definitely going to go through  more growing pains. I talk with Chris quite a few times, and  these guys are committed to keeping this thing alive. It's a small little mom-and-pop operation, not a corporation, so I really support these guys. I can also say you will not a find a more fair and honest guy then Chris.

After my oil leak incident,  they refunded me $600 to fix it myself. I wonder if Mokai would have done that? They have also replaced any parts I've needed so far for free,  including the upgraded carburetor. They even paid for shipping. So, in terms of customer service they've really been great.

Again, I encourage you to contact Chris and talk to him about your concerns. Hope my info helps.

Best,
Troy

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »
That's a great post, Troy, thanks for the info. You almost made me want one... LOL Almost.  :D It does sound like fun though!
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Online Mokai Dreamin'

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »
Tom:

It would be fun to see somebody with your talents get your hands on one of these boats. I can only imagine the upgrades you would come up with!

I hope that things are going well for you. I miss being part of the "Mokai family".

All the best,

Troy
Best,
Troy

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »
Troy,
That's the best write-up I could ever ask for.  You have pretty much answered all of my questions.  We would be using the boats in salt water in tidal rivers and near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.  Thanks for this.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
"We would be using the boats in salt water in tidal rivers and near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay."

I believe this is where they would shine the brightest too, and what they were designed for as far as I know. If I spent time near salt water, I'd have one of these for sure.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
Just a little follow up on the Stik Boat kickstarter.   They were looking for $120,000 by November 5th to fund the program, and ended up  with pledges of $203,000 and 36 backers \./8 which looks good for the pledges and the success of the Stik Boat.     I look forward to receiving my Stik Boat which better suits my needs for a one person fishing boat ;).  My pledge was $4900 to my front door :).    I enjoyed my Mokai while I had it, but felt it was too difficult getting in and out of at the dock, plus too slow moving from location to location :'(.     If I had rivers in my area then the Mokai would be appropriate.
Best wishes to all you Mokai'ers,   John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
Sounds like they are off to a good start, wish you the best with yours! Let us know how it works out.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 12:42:13 PM »
Stik boats have come out with new pricing on their web site stikboats.com
One boat for $4850,  2 boats for $9200 \./8
Their going to give Mokai a run for their money :D

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 12:49:10 AM »
Who is the engine MFG?

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 01:06:28 AM »
The motor is a Yamaha design for small scooters, but is not longer a Yamaha badge.    The story goes that Yamaha opened the factory about 20 years ago outside Shanghai, but pulled out a few years ago.   The factory and it's worker stayed and are still building the products they built for Yamaha.
The factory is probably next door to the company that builds the motors for the Mokai :))