$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; sitting and standing on the Mokai

Author Topic: sitting and standing on the Mokai  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Jpmichigan

• Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2015
sitting and standing on the Mokai
« on: September 07, 2017, 03:26:32 PM »
Does anyone else do this? 

So right now I keep a piece of 2*4 and I use it to rest across the cockpit and I sit on top of the Mokai - I'm going to make a light weight and comfortable seat soon.. but this is a nice break from sitting so close to the water and works well while fishing.

When I was in Canada with it... I discovered a 2*10 about 30" long... my handle (round ball) on the steering had fallen off in transit.   The water clarity was amazing, and I had seen an old thin metal broom handle in the cabins garage - putting 2 and 2 together..... yep.. with the proper balance and a calm lake you can stand on the board on top of the Mokai and use a broom handle to control speed and direction.

I don't recommend this... but it was pretty damn fun and an absolutely awesome way to gain some elevation to view down 30' into the crystal clear waters. 

Online CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
Re: sitting and standing on the Mokai
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
Does anyone else do this? 

So right now I keep a piece of 2*4 and I use it to rest across the cockpit and I sit on top of the Mokai - I'm going to make a light weight and comfortable seat soon.. but this is a nice break from sitting so close to the water and works well while fishing.

When I was in Canada with it... I discovered a 2*10 about 30" long... my handle (round ball) on the steering had fallen off in transit.   The water clarity was amazing, and I had seen an old thin metal broom handle in the cabins garage - putting 2 and 2 together..... yep.. with the proper balance and a calm lake you can stand on the board on top of the Mokai and use a broom handle to control speed and direction.

I don't recommend this... but it was pretty damn fun and an absolutely awesome way to gain some elevation to view down 30' into the crystal clear waters.

There are multiple threads (ideas) you can look at, try the search feature to find out different options. I'm leaning towards a sit on top the cockpit version myself. trying to stay on top, not overboard.  :))
I'm working on one that can be moved to the bow or stern, maybe router out 2 grooves that will attach to the seat and fit both ends of the cockpit so I can use for fishing both directions. Also, attach 2 stabilizers with carabiners to eyehooks underneath the cockpit rim so I can't fall over backwards, which has been done in icy waters...can't find that post for you.

Here's a few posts I've been researching...

http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php/topic,1258.msg13160.html#msg13160

http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php/topic,1485.msg12765.html#msg12765

http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=624.0;attach=4098;image

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=kayak+seats&imgrc=_&cad=h

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wise-Folding-Boat-Seat-Shadow-Grass-Camo/15135528
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Jpmichigan

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
I use the last seat you posted.. the 3rd post is what I'm talking about but that one is too far back.  I'm going to make one like an old style canoe -with two little blocks of wood that hold it onto the rim but allow you to move it forward, backwards and or take it off.   Once I started riding on top of it.. it feels weird to sit all the way down in it.

Online CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
Sounds good. Please post some pictures as you progress, would like to see yours too.
I'm thinking the same when it comes to how to hold/mold it to the rim. Costco has a stadium seat that has a fold down back for $16 this week. Amazon has the same seat only it will fit inside the cockpit, regular instead of extra wide.  I need to mount a base that will fit onto the rim of the cockpit. Maybe two grooves in the base since the bow is a different shape than the stern.

https://www.amazon.com/Stadium-Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Royal/dp/B00Y1H1SVS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504818599&sr=8-4&keywords=cascade+mountain+tech+stadium+seat

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:15:14 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline king squirrel

• Cool Points: 5
  • Model Year: 2016 & 2016
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
I have not tried getting up THAT high but I did recently start standing up in my ES-Kape while under way (imagine a jet powered stand-up paddle board). Standing helps me scout out good fishing holes. So far, I've only done this up to about half throttle. Tom's cable conversion kit was key to making it practical as it allows me to lock in my throttle speed. For steering control, I've just been leaning down and adjusting my direction by hand. *Try it at your own risk. If you hit something sub-surface while doing this, there's a good chance you are going for a swim!*

SMB are my primary target. When actively fishing, I prefer to sit as low as possible in the boat. If I stand to cast, the fish will only hit surface lures at a distance. If I sit low in the boat, they will strike a surface popper just feet away from the hull! Depending on species and water clarify, standing and fishing could potentially spook some fish that might otherwise come closer to kill your bait.

Online CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »
I have not tried getting up THAT high but I did recently start standing up in my ES-Kape while under way (imagine a jet powered stand-up paddle board). Standing helps me scout out good fishing holes. So far, I've only done this up to about half throttle. Tom's cable conversion kit was key to making it practical as it allows me to lock in my throttle speed. For steering control, I've just been leaning down and adjusting my direction by hand. *Try it at your own risk. If you hit something sub-surface while doing this, there's a good chance you are going for a swim!*

SMB are my primary target. When actively fishing, I prefer to sit as low as possible in the boat. If I stand to cast, the fish will only hit surface lures at a distance. If I sit low in the boat, they will strike a surface popper just feet away from the hull! Depending on species and water clarify, standing and fishing could potentially spook some fish that might otherwise come closer to kill your bait.

Sounds risky, but fun! Good tip, I never thought about spooking the fish, just catching them.  :-O
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Online CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 03:09:29 PM »

Check out this young guy standing in his Mokai at about 15:30...crazy huh?  :))
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8VvUUUj5k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8VvUUUj5k</a>
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:11:04 PM by CC-Coder »
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOY5QdWBurE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOY5QdWBurE</a>

Offline Jpmichigan

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »
Great videos.. yep..that's me.. I'm either sitting on top (normal position) or standing.   With tom's steering conversion put in this weekend.. now I have cruise control at any speeds.   And yep.. hit a log at half throttle standing up... was lucky to not get wet!..   The perspective you get standing up is great.. especially when the water is clear.