$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Pump Shaft Color

Author Topic: Pump Shaft Color  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Maritimer

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Stock Subaru
  • Model Year: 2017
Pump Shaft Color
« on: April 28, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
I've had my pump completely packed with sticks and spanish moss, several times, engine didn't care. It won't stop the pump from turning, it just keeps water from passing through and it will actually rev higher.. just like spinning your tires in the mud.

Sorry to go tangential on this topic, but I had a similar twig and leaf pump plugging experience on my first ride. The pump shaft went in nice and shiny and came out a couple of hours later with a bronzed color looking like it had overheated. Is this normal?

Thanks for your valued opinion!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Pump Shaft Color
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
That's what color they all are. You will notice the areas without the bronze color, that is where the hull bearing and seals ride. Ever ES-kape pump shaft looks exactly like yours. ;)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Maritimer

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
Thank you! That's reassuring. After reading in this forum about all the things that might go wrong, worry-wart newbies like me really appreciate your advice.  \./8

Offline CC-Coder

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 44
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 Head - ES
  • Model Year: 2010 (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
Thank you! That's reassuring. After reading in this forum about all the things that might go wrong, worry-wart newbies like me really appreciate your advice.  \./8

I would agree with your worry-wart newbie comment. All the advice is greatly appreciated, we wouldn't get it from Mokai, Inc.
Putting some seat-time in will be the most beneficial to us newbies. Many thanks to Tom and all the forum posters for the great advice.
🤦🏼‍♂️ Chuck 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Maritimer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 02:12:59 PM »
I'm actually very happy with how I've been treated by the Mokai people. But I don't think it would be fair of me to expect them to address all the areas of interest that this forum covers - Seats? Anchors? Performance improvements? Trailers? etc. etc. This is the place for authoritative answers. The voices of experience!

I'm getting somewhat desperate for "seat time". Every time I think our spring flood has peaked, another round of rain brings the water back up higher than before. I'm hesitant to mention it, but the trip that caused the discolored pump shaft was on a smaller river five minutes from my house. I've paddled up there many times in my Wilderness Systems kayak and know it pretty well. I got lost in my Mokai! Islands have disappeared, farm fields are lakes, and woodlots are swamps. I couldn't say for certain where the river was. And of course this leads to lots of grate-clogging floating debris. So maybe next week....  I've learned so much about this boat from this forum and my three hours on the water. I expect to be a grizzled old veteran by the fall.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 06:18:14 PM »
FYI your pump shaft is not discolored, it was always that color, how it came from the factory. They are heat treated in an effort to reduce spline wear and stripping. If the shaft really got hot enough to change color, your hull bearing and seals would disintegrate and the hull would melt. ;)

Sometimes you just have to make seat time... lol Hope you get some more soon. Good luck!
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Maritimer

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »
I guess it was a uniform color when new, without the bands from the bearing and seals. I was faked out because it looked different coming out than when I put it in an hour earlier. I really thought it was a sign of overheating. Thanks again for the clarification.