$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Do you recommend a pump guard on new ES-KAPE

Author Topic: Do you recommend a pump guard on new ES-KAPE  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Mokaimark

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2017
Do you recommend a pump guard on new ES-KAPE
« on: March 09, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »
I just bought new ES-KAPE. I usually run small rivers with lots of rocks and ledges. Concerned about the pump taking a hit. Mokai rep says not to worry pump is mounted higher than bottom of bow. Says pump guard will affect performance. I am skeptical. Think pump guard would be a wise investment for me. Any thoughts out there.

Offline Larry

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 24
  • Engine: Honda GC190
  • Model Year: 2007/2007
Re: Do you recommend a pump guard on new ES-KAPE
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
I don't have an ES-KAPE but if I did, I would put on a pump guard. The pump just looks like it's unprocted to me. Check out the Painless Store on this site. Hope this helps.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mark. FYI Mokai doesn't like me, or anything I'm doing with "their" boats, so go figure on their comments.

While scraping bottom in typical conditions isn't going to hit the pump, it isn't typical conditions that I designed the guard for. And no, it does not affect performance at all. None of the testing I've done indicated any difference with or without it.

I play in swampy areas, logs etc... I jump logs in my Mokai's all the time, doing that in the ES-kape without a guard and the pump is going to smack that log on the exit and take the plastic steering nozzle with it. Same scenario applies to people playing in areas with large rocks, slide over a rock the right size and on exit the pump is going to hit. These are real world situations that the factory doesn't consider or recognize. Your typical waterway with no debris, logs, rocks to hit, and no guard might be ok. The Mokai was not meant for typical, it is not typical, and I don't use it in a typical way or in typical places. The guard is a must in my opinion, also why I canned the servo controls in lieu of direct cable control like the old models.  Hope that helps.  \./8

Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »
Hey Mark,  There are many members that would confirm that the pump guard saved there bacon :), and I'm one of them.   I would limit your discussion with Mokai about any aftermarket enhancement you want to install on your boat :-X.

Have fun, John

Offline Mokaimark

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »
Thanks much for the response. Iam planning on adding a pump guard for river running especially in low water.

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »
I run in small very rocky rivers and I can tell you from experience don't bother even testing it till you put a guard on. In half a season last year I would have destroyed the pump 100 times over without one. The back of your mokai will run lower then the bottom despite what the manufacturers tell you. These things just don't have the horse power to plane out flat enough to make that claim. Save yourself the heart ache and make/purchase a guard.  I got one from Tom and it works great.       

Offline Mokaimark

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 03:14:39 PM »
Thanks for the response riverman. I trust you guys with the experience I don't yet have. I will get a guard.

Offline Captain Nemo

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: TBD
  • Model Year: TBD
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:47:24 PM »
Tomís summary seems quite accurate.  Sliding over obstacles more slowly it would be a good addition.  I donít have the guard and I really do pound my ESCapes (I own 3) over tons of rocks and have never had a problem with the steering nossle.  But thatís at swift speed.  Now the intake grill - thatís where the problem is!!!  Mokai sells a SS replacement intake grill that is well worth the extra cost.

Offline Maritimer

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Stock Subaru
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 05:47:56 PM »
Now the intake grill - thatís where the problem is!!!  Mokai sells a SS replacement intake grill that is well worth the extra cost.

They do? I sprung the bars open on the stock aluminum intake grate on my new Es-Kape and damaged the pump last year. Mokai offered me a steel replacement grate "to test" but said they couldn't manufacture a stainless one. No kidding about it being worth the cost! The cheap plastic nozzle though was fine...

== Steve ==

Offline Captain Nemo

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: TBD
  • Model Year: TBD
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 03:24:13 AM »
They just started making them. $59/ea is what I paid.  They weight a lot more; I measured about 3/4 lb more.

Offline Maritimer

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
They just started making them. $59/ea is what I paid.  They weight a lot more; I measured about 3/4 lb more.

That's a lot cheaper than the cost of a pump repair (even though Mokai gave me a deal on mine). I suppose that if I worked hard, I could lose 3/4 pound by cutting back on seconds at meal time. Nah, it's not worth the minor performance hit.

Offline OutdoorAdv

• Cool Points: 10
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »
I also got a SS intake grate from Mokai last summer.  They told me they are not advertised on the website yet.  Like Captain Nemo said, it was $60.  The aluminum one that was on my boat when I bought it used was all smashed up with a couple broken bars.  I opted to put the heavy duty SS one on for the rivers I run it in. 

Offline Roadrunner68

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
Hello guys. Tom asked me to let you guys know i offer a Stainless steel grate for the escape as well for the later orignal Mokai. made from 1/4" thick stainless steel. Let me know if your interested. Selling for 35.00 dollars plus shipping. flat rate envelope. Flat rate 7.00 dollars.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »
That's an awesome deal on a GREAT grate! I have been very happy with the one on my ES-kape, it gets two thumbs up from me!  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Maritimer

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 08:51:25 PM »
Is this wider than the original grate? I must say it looks great!