$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; directional control rod (from servo)

Author Topic: directional control rod (from servo)  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Clark Babb

• Cool Points: 0
  • Engine: Subaru 7hp
  • Model Year: 2015
directional control rod (from servo)
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »
Hi,
The directional control rod that is connected to the pump housing for control has worn down the ball on the end as well as the interior of the Quick disconnect. It will not retain and I have no control! Just purchased the Escape in January and have put about 80 hours on it. Any suggestions?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: directional control rod (from servo)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »
That's a flaw in the design, nothing you can do but replace the parts. You will have to contact Mokai and have them replace them under warranty. Looks like this is another problem for people to be on the look out for on these boats. The push rod is aluminum, and I could see sand getting in the socket and causing premature wear, would be a good idea to clean it out after ever trip and grease it then.

Thanks for the info. Let us know how it works out.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 18
  • Engine: EX21
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:02:57 PM »
Check if your servo constantly makes small moves back and forth (basically never stops hunting for center). This could be contributing factor to fast wear. If it does, it is easy to fix by opening the servo, reaching the micro-usb connector inside and reprogramming PID with OEM software. That's what I did first before going for ultimate solution in form of Tom's conversion to purely mechanical steering and throttle.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
Check if your servo constantly makes small moves back and forth (basically never stops hunting for center). This could be contributing factor to fast wear. If it does, it is easy to fix by opening the servo, reaching the micro-usb connector inside and reprogramming PID with OEM software. That's what I did first before going for ultimate solution in form of Tom's conversion to purely mechanical steering and throttle.

While some people are comfortable with tinkering like that, I don't recommend the average owner to dig that deep trying fixing a system that is under warranty. Exception being they don't care about dealing with Mokai or the warranty and just want to try anyhow before ultimately gutting it all and going with my conversion. If somebody opens that servo and bombs the programming, Mokai would void the warranty and happily charge a hefty price to fix.  :-[
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:48:22 PM »
That's a good point about warranty, although it is just as easy to restore the original PID values as to change them. So one should just make sure to record values that are changed and restore originals if returning servo for warranty service.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
They will know if you opened it up... Game over then. You are thinking everyone would think like we do, not the case though. lol We are comfortable with computers and nerd stuff like that. Most people would open a can or worms they couldn't close thinking they knew more than they did... hehe
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 10:41:35 PM »
Even if they can determine that servo was opened that should not void the warranty in absence of any evidence of modification.

But I do agree that unless someone is comfortable with electronics and has working knowledge of PID tweaking, this type of tinkering can be problematic.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 10:59:35 PM »
Even if they can determine that servo was opened that should not void the warranty in absence of any evidence of modification.

They don't look at it like that.. Open the servo and it's gone.  :-X
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
If that's indeed their unwritten warranty policy, fighting it would seem too much hassle for too little gain.

But be that as it may, my main point is that if servo is constantly hunting (might happen only while moving, might happen only in a certain temperature range), replacing the connector parts would be only a temporary fix. The servo would need fixing too, whoever does that, Mokai or the owner.   

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:29:33 AM »
I don't think that small movement would be enough to begin wear to that extent. It would take lots of full deflection steering action to articulate that ball/cup union enough to cause wear patterns that extreme, he said it wore down to the point it won't even stay connected. That isn't going to happen without lots of movement, and a servo hunting for center isn't going to do that.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 01:03:45 PM »
Let me describe what I observed and maybe you will not be so categorical. From the very beginning my servo made periodic noise with no joystick input at all. You can sense the slight movement of servo arm if you put you hand inside, but because of play in connection, the nozzle would not move appreciably. So aside from significant and pointless battery drain, this hunting was not a problem. However, on several occasions I noticed that servo hunts a lot more, again with no joystick input and on land. In those cases the nozzle would move very noticeably (I'd say 5-10 degrees, but it has been a long while). I could not figure out what makes this excessive hunting to appear and go away. I also have no idea if that happened less or more when boat was moving. If this does happen for the gentleman who started this thread, it seems plausible that, in combination with some sand inside connector, it would wear out connector a lot faster than normal operation.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
I know exactly what you mean, and part of the reason I got rid of all that junk and replaced it with manual cables. I still don't believe that contributed to the problem though, not unless he left the power on all the time and it was hunting like that 24/7. He said he's put 80 hours on it, that is the tell tale that the wear was from lots and lots of use. Lots of vibration back there too, which could also contribute to the problem.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
Yes, "sanding" induced by vibration is a very good point, which I was not taking into account. So even with the mechanical steering I'd better be greasing and checking for abrasives present and wear regularly.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
I've noticed no wear on mine, the rod is stainless and the ball is brass. I dab a little grease on the end after every few trips and so far nothing has changed. I don't expect any problems, you will be fine if you do the same.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline mokamo

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: GC190
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 07:41:25 AM »
So if this joystick fails when you are miles away, can you still run the boat going back? Anyone had this experience and how did you go back? Is there a DIY to externally control the jet pump nozzle? Im sure the new upcoming 2018 model will continue to use the joystick design. I think i have no choice but to support the joystick as i prefer the 3 hull design for my own specific needs..But there must be a backup control in case it fails.. not the paddling nor trolling motor please..