$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Motor stalling when wet...

Author Topic: Motor stalling when wet...  (Read 1233 times)

Offline aquachigger

• Cool Points: 8
Motor stalling when wet...
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
I have a curious mystery that I have been unable fully solve. It involves both my boats in exactly the same way.

When I get "too much" water in the cockpit, the motor will at first skip a few times and then stop running. If I shut the boat off quickly (seconds) and get the water out, it will fire back up and run fine. But if I run it just a tad too long, the motor will stop running. They both did this immediately after a heavy rain one time (3+ inches) when I forgot to drain them before getting back on the river.

They will fire up and run normally for 5 to 10 seconds and suddenly die. Both boats will do this for 15 or 20 minutes and suddenly will start working fine. The motor will appear as wet as ever, but will just start working.

So my question is this:
Does anyone know exactly what part of the system is causing this? I'd like to be able to help speed the 15-20 minute wait up by drying whatever is at fault.

ps. I dreamed last night for the first time that I sunk my boat in whitewater. But I had tied a float to my tether rope so I could find it again, so I guess it will be alright to go out today. I just need to remember the float!

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
Re: Motor stalling when wet...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 10:02:48 AM »
Aquachigger,

I had that experience during my first trip down the Miami and Ohio Rivers.  The problem actually shortened the trip.  When I got home I spoke with Louis at Mokai about the problem and he described it as a type of short, name forgotten.  At any rate, I went through the electrics, removed anything unnecessary, like the low oil cutoff, coated all connections with dielectric grease, and raised the wires as high as possible from bottom. More important was installing automatic bilge pumps in all of my boats.  No problems now.

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:46:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like good advice. There are plenty of extra wires hanging off that thing. I'll do the pumps this winter in my down time as well.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:13:54 AM »
Does your motor have a couple orange wires coming out from the flywheel cover where the blue wires for the charging coil exit? If so, unplug them from the harness. Low oil sensor has caused many problems for people that have them. Checking you oil often is a good idea anyhow.

Another question is exactly how much water is in the hull when this happens? Up to the flywheel? If so, water is getting drawn into the flywheel fan and blown over the coil and onto the cylinder/ head. Wet coil would be an issue, and the thermal shock to the cylinder and head wouldn't be good either. Like George said, automatic electric bilge pumps would be a good idea. 
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 09:41:11 AM »
I'm certain the stall it water related. The stalling happens when the water is pretty deep. Like you say, probably up to the flywheel. But I don't let it get that deep now that I figured out what was happening.  I'll definitely get with you on the bilge pump this winter. I can envision plenty of disasters with a stall on some rivers I travel....