$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Where to buy replacement grate?

Author Topic: Where to buy replacement grate?  (Read 8074 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 63
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Where to buy replacement grate?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »
Tom, Sorry about the confusion but inquiry was really just  directed to John (Rotweilerman) as his earlier post spoke of cutting bars off his existing grate. Just wanting to know if any improvement. John

LOL Right, I had a brain block there. Too many Johns.  :-[
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 23
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
Tom, Sorry about the confusion but inquiry was really just  directed to John (Rotweilerman) as his earlier post spoke of cutting bars off his existing grate. Just wanting to know if any improvement. John
Hey John,  Finally got up to the lake ( Castaic Lake) yesterday and checked out my grate modification.  Conditions at the lake where great, no wind in the morning \./8.    I didn't really see much of an improvement  :'(.    Speed ran around 9.5 to 10.5 mph at 4100 to 4250 rpm's.    One thing I thought about is, I had Tom install the new grease zerk in the pump which I felt was a little harder to spin on the bench verses the oil filled pump.   Did this hinder the spin ability of the pump under power ???, I doubt it, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  Tom could elaborate more on his opinion of trial runs with the zerk fitting installed.
The only downfall on my modification, is a greater ability to suck up debri  >:(.   Castaic Lake water level is at pre 2012 levels.   Certain areas around the lake have a lot of tall grass which now is just below the water surface as moss.    I ventured into those areas not realizing what I got into till it was to late :-[   Boy did I suck up the moss :(,  now I had to find a sandy area where I could remove the pump and clean off the grate and pump shaft.   The closest area was across the lake about a mile, so I limped across the lake and made the landing.   What a mess ::),  one thing I got to remember, when you take the pump out make sure the back of the boat is out of the water when you remove the pump :-[    As I was removing the moss off the shaft, I could see the rear of the my boat getting lower in the water, than it hit me :o, I quickly pull the rear end farther up on the sand ::).    Once I cleared the shaft and grate of moss, then I spent 20 minutes removing water from the motor compartment.    Thank you Tom for mentioning that everybody should include a sponge in their boat essentials ;)
You'll have to make the call on the grate modification.  Would I do it again ???, probably not :(.

Good Luck, John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »
Grease is thicker than oil, when running though the grease warms up and there is no difference in performance between the two.  ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
Thanks John R for your update on the grate modification.  Always interested in the 'what if's" alternative to incrementally increase our mph.  Sort of resigned my logic, after ex17 head conversion, to what basically is the overall weight we carry on board.

By the way, i, too, have done the wrong beached side for the pump.  ;) tight lines, John

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
Years ago I was out during flood stage, in an area where there was nothing but woods for miles on either side or down any slough. My grate was so clogged I literally would not move by motor power. Had to paddle in between a few trees I could tie off to, and while staying in the boat I had to pull the engine cover, lean over the engine as best I could (it was HOT), and remove the pump... get all the moss that was jammed in the impeller out as fast as I could, put the pump back in and get it clamped in place. I took on about 4 gallons during the process. Was an experience I will never forget, and one I never want to repeat. The "what if's" were many, and none of them would have been good.  :D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline crazyjake330

• Cool Points: 1
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 05:01:43 AM »
Love your videos! you got me wanting a mokai and got one lined up. getting it next sat! thanks! my metal detecting hobby just got more expensive. cant put a price on fun! cant waite. course my leg is broke in 5 places now but i will be ready for spring. Happy hunting.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »
Thanks! Hope everything goes good with the one your getting. What year is it? Let me know if you need anything for it!  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com