$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Gas Mileage

Author Topic: Gas Mileage  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Hersh

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
Gas Mileage
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:20:05 AM »
How far/long can you go on a 3 gallon tank of fuel in hours or miles.  I know it is advertised as 3 gallons per 8 hours but is it really that good?  Yes weight and "on the gas" will dictate mileage but on average with a 200 lb guy and cruising speed what are you guys seeing.

On a side note I'm considering going to ES on my Mokai's and was wondering what a pair of manual start 2011 Subaru engines with 8 hours would resell for.

Thanks

Hersh

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Model Year: many
Re: Gas Mileage
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »
Going downriver with a 3mph current, traveling loaded for camping, averaging 12.5 mph, I get about 20 mpg.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
Depending on the motor used, 20-25 mpg is pretty typical. A combination of up and down river over a couple days at 10-14 mph for a total of 50 miles used 2.1 gal for a 23 mpg average.

Keep your spare motors from the ES swap, the manual start motors will accept the ES parts so you will be able to use them some day.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline RonS

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: EX21
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:10:51 AM »
My tank dosen't hold 3 gallons of fuel? I know the manual claims it's a 3 gallon tank,but mine dosen't hold that much. Ron

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:37:03 AM »
You are right on that Ron, mine isn't 3 gallons either. More like 2.5 or so, the factory also claims 19.2 mph. Go figure! lol I do believe you could go the advertised 8 miles on that tank though.  :D
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline SDonker

• Cool Points: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »
I wonder if a Mokai has ever gone 19.2 miles per hour on water.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »
I know one guy that hit 20 for a second with a KX motor, no gear and going down a good current. Have never heard of a stock one coming close. I've been in a 2012 ES with no gear to speak of (fishing rod) and my 195lbs and saw a best of 12.5 on GPS on still water.
I guess one might go that fast with a 10 year old in it and a good current? Luckily the fun and usefulness of the Mokai isn't about it's speed.

I've got a GX200 with 10:1 compression, ported head, billet .020 over rod, .230 lift cam with 1.3 rockers, cold air intake, free flowing exhaust, no governor and I have just touched 16mph for a blink twice, while sitting as far forward as possible.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline drummer

• Cool Points: 5
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:21:52 AM »
There is no possible way a Mokai with the ex21 will even get close to doing 19.2 mph
The top speed on mine with nothing in the Mokai, only hit 15.5 on my GPS, leaning forward, at 4,100 rpm on my tach. I'm 175 lbs.  There was no wind, and the water was flat.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:23:47 AM by drummer »

Offline MAXTORQUE

• Cool Points: 14
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »
What you are looking for is peace of mind when out all day on the river.  The compartment door to my bulkhead is large for that very reason.  I wanted to store things that are needed but out of the way and DRY--toliet paper, 2- one gallon gas tanks, flares, some tools, and black duct tape (Gorilla Tape) that can hold and fix anything).  The river I go in is in a high populated area and people like to throw stuff in it like a block of cement with re-bars in it.  The Mokai is a great boat but its hull can get pierced and when it gets a hole YOU get wet.  That duct tape could have prevented the Titanic from sinking if only it was invented back then.  Great stuff and you damn near need a knife to cut it but it sure does hold.  I have never had to use it yet on the Mokai but at the race track it has kept my canopy from blowing away in 40 mile an hour winds by taping the legs of the canopy to the trailer.  I saw some pictures people had of holes in their Mokai hull and this tape would have held on and got them home dry.

My point is (old people tend to ramble) the bulkhead is a nice place to use for storage and the nice thing is you have a good weight distribution putting the load behind your seat so you can get the boat to plain. 

Offline Heavynets

• Cool Points: 5
  • Engine: EX-21
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »
"My point is (old people tend to ramble) the bulkhead is a nice place to use for storage and the nice thing is you have a good weight distribution putting the load behind your seat so you can get the boat to plain. "

I don't understand how putting weight behind the seat helps the boat to plain when most people have to lean forward to aid the boat to top speed.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »
You are correct Heavynets, putting more weight behind the seat will only make the back of the hull sit deeper in the water. It will bring the bow up higher which some people might confuse with being on plane. The bow might be higher, but the angle of attack is now greater and that will slow the boat down. We really never achieve "plane" with our Mokai's as there just isn't enough power available to go fast enough, but leaning forward does help lessen the angle and speed things up 1-2 mph with the right conditions. If you are going to add weight, add it as far forward as possible if "performance" is desired.  ;D

And... Welcome to the forum, glad to have you.  ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline RonS

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: EX21
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 07:23:58 AM »
I've been thinking of adding a couple of "trim tabs" to the rear of the hull,or transom. Has anyone tried this yet?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
Yup, I added a couple of trim tabs that bolted to the carry handle bolts. Could adjust them to stick out a little or a lot and the only difference I noticed was slowing me down from the added resistence. I'm still toying with the idea of extending the hull width a little to provide a little extra lift in the back but haven't quite gotten there yet.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline watercat

• Cool Points: 2
  • Engine: 22hp race
  • Model Year: 2007
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
On vacation this year we ran all weekend long. Did not keep track but I'm sure we could have gotten close to a 8 hour fuel burn. Didn't realize the tank was 2.5 gallons either. lets start a collection and send Mokai some measuring devices. I hope to break the Mokai speed record very soon. In practice trials on the trailer were able to hit some amazing speeds. Soon a may even try it on water.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 01:15:03 AM by watercat »

Offline Dragon

• Cool Points: 4
  • Engine: None
  • Model Year: None yet
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
Now if you had a fuel injected EX would you have better fuel consumption!!!???????
I saw this on the Subaru site but couldn't find it in electric start? Is it possible to order the parts and convert a EX to fuel injection or other way around and add electric start??
I also saw that it has a automatic choke and temp monitor built in. That would be nice to have a auto choke so you don't have to pop the lid on a cold motor? But I am curious if the stock ex has a fuelpump or not?
What's yer thoughts?  Thanks

http://robinamerica.com/pfeatures.aspx?pid=226