$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Engine problem...

Author Topic: Engine problem...  (Read 2631 times)

Offline aquachigger

• Cool Points: 8
Engine problem...
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
I am kind of a moron when it comes to stuff like this, so thought I'd ask here before I rip apart my motor. Here is my problem.

2012 Subaru motor. Just started doing this. Runs great at full or partial throttle for about 10 seconds then dies like I have turned off the ignition. Wait 3 seconds, fires right up for another 10 seconds. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

I changed out the gas tank, blew out all the fuel lines, still no fix.

Any ideas of what I should tackle next? Thanks... Beau

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 63
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Engine problem...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 07:24:19 PM »
Check the vacuum line going to the carburetor spacer and make sure the brass fitting is not loose. Would advise using some JB weld on the fitting threads so it doesn't come loose, then throw out the factory clamp and use a worm drive hose clamp instead. Cleaning the carb out would be a good idea, the air bleed circuits for idle can get easily clogged as there is NO fuel filter on these boats from the factory. So would be a good idea to change all the fuel lines while you're at it, and install a fuel filter. Using Non-Ethanol gas is highly recommended, the fuel lines get eaten by the ethanol and clog the carb.

Here is a brief video showing what to clean in the carb.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLA7EaGpxL4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLA7EaGpxL4</a>
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:32:37 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll get right on it. I'll let you know how it turns out. Fun, fun!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:20:28 PM »
This is also how I do all fuel systems now, although I don't bother with the pre-filter anymore. You can flip your fuel inlet upside down so the nipple is facing forward, one hole has to be elongated but that is a simple task worth the effort. 

http://www.improvingyourmokai.com/index.php/topic,836.0.html
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 39
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 09:18:18 AM »
Aquachigger,

Do you have manual or electric start?,  I had an intermittent short in my electrics cause an identical situation several years ago.

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:50:59 AM »
I do have an electronic start and that could be the problem. Unfortunately, I am "electronics systems" challenged as well. I pulled and yanked on the wires going into the ignition and it ran for 20 seconds right after that but now it's back to 10 seconds or so. It does have the feel of an electronics problem in that it acts like I have just turned it off via key, but fires right back. No chugging, spitting or bogging down. The motor purrs as smooth as a kitten. All of the wires inside look tight and I don't see any obvious shorts.

But, per Toms recommendation, I did just take the carb apart and it's full of black particulates. So I am going to add the filter, clean the jets etc and see how it goes.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »
Good thinking on Hillbilly's part too. You could also trace the black wire on top of the block that comes from the coil, to where the kill switch wiring is plugged in, unplug the leads going to that to rule out electrical issues. You'll have to manually ground that wire to shut the motor down, but this is only for testing and will help in the troubleshooting.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
Good News/Bad News

GN: All fixed up!

BN: Don't know why for certain. The fuel system, including jets, was filthy and I cleaned it (installed filters also), but there was also a somewhat loose grounding bolt that I tightened. If it happens again, I will check the bolt first, but the bolt is not a certainty.

I thank you guys for your help. You made it easy.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 02:30:55 PM »
That's great news, so glad we could help. Sounds like it's time to go have some fun! Let us know how she runs.  ;)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »
Good thinking on Hillbilly's part too. You could also trace the black wire on top of the block that comes from the coil, to where the kill switch wiring is plugged in, unplug the leads going to that to rule out electrical issues. You'll have to manually ground that wire to shut the motor down, but this is only for testing and will help in the troubleshooting.

Any chance I can find schematic for the Eskape electrics somewhere? I do not mean servos and related electronics, only the part that starts and runs the engine (charges battery as well). On related subject, how do run the engine without plugging the two electrical connectors? On couple of occasions I wanted to run engine outside of Mokai. Easy enough to connect fuel tank and battery, but the rest is behind those connectors...

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 10:04:19 AM »
You don't need anything plugged in to run the engine, you will just need to find a way to shut it off. The engine components are simple, the solenoid has the battery + post and charging wire, and the spade connector is the 12v start. Jump that spade to the post just below it and the motor will crank. The light/dark blue wires are for the charging coil, the green wire coming from the regulator goes to the + post of the solenoid. The wiring in the control box is all integrated with the power supply PCB for the servos.

Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 21
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 12:58:45 PM »
You don't need anything plugged in to run the engine, you will just need to find a way to shut it off.

Thanks to your description I understand the wiring now. So how do I stop the engine? I count 5 wires on a larger connector, yellow ground, black +12V, black starter solenoid, black going to smaller connector (why?), and black going towards spark plug/ignition coil region.
I am guessing that I need to ground the last wire to prevent spark (and if it is left floating the engine can run). Or is it the other way around?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 02:50:40 PM »
Can't say what goes where without a picture to point at. There are two different wiring setups on the ES-kape now. But the black wire coming from the ignition coil is what you would touch to ground to shut the motor off.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com