$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; How to get boat on truck top?

Author Topic: How to get boat on truck top?  (Read 7128 times)

Offline aquachigger

• Cool Points: 8
How to get boat on truck top?
« on: April 04, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »
Hey guys... I'm trying to figure out a way to get my kayak up on top of my truck sleeping platform. I've looked at the commercial loading units online, but nothing looks like it will work with this boats design. I've been scratching my head for a couple months now, and the season has arrived and I am still at a loss. I do have a trailer, but need to get it on top for my extended trips. Any ideas or links to something that I could make or buy? Thanks...Beau   

Offline revtoyota

• Cool Points: 10
  • 907 953 9666
  • Engine: honda gc190's
  • Model Year: 2 2006's 1 2008
Re: How to get boat on truck top?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
Lift the front up to roof rack then grab the back and toss it up there.

Offline revtoyota

• 907 953 9666
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »
Oh and the truck has a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires so not far from the same hight you are trying to get yours up to on your truck.   \./8

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 50
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
Perhaps you could devise a way to attach your Mokart to the rear of your roof rack such that you can then, after removing the engine, pump and fuel tank, lift the bow up on the wheels of the Mokart. Then just pick it up from the rear and roll it on.  Yakima makes a set of wheels that attach with suction cups to a rear window to accomplish the same thing for loading kayaks, right side up.

Of course a cradle would need to be fashioned on the roof rack to hold the Mokai once it is in place.  Unloading would be the same process in reverse. 

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »
Lift the front up to roof rack then grab the back and toss it up there.

My deck is at just under 8 feet high. I can do 5 with brute force, but not the 8. The angle is too great. Smarter... I must get smarter.

Also, have you considered what might happen if you have a sudden deceleration of your truck? Maybe your back window is reinforced somehow but if not your boat may become a life-threatening projectile to those inside your truck.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:44:38 PM by aquachigger »

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
Perhaps you could devise a way to attach your Mokart to the rear of your roof rack such that you can then, after removing the engine, pump and fuel tank, lift the bow up on the wheels of the Mokart. Then just pick it up from the rear and roll it on.  Yakima makes a set of wheels that attach with suction cups to a rear window to accomplish the same thing for loading kayaks, right side up.

Of course a cradle would need to be fashioned on the roof rack to hold the Mokai once it is in place.  Unloading would be the same process in reverse.

That's what I was thinking too, but it's almost 8 feet high and the boat is nearly vertical at that point. Pushing it up by hand is pretty much impossible for me. But that is probably the closest to what I would like to be able to do for sure.

Offline revtoyota

• 907 953 9666
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »
I have been hauling these for around 15 years like this and no problems at all. That's including over 200 miles of dirt road along with 800-1200 paved road miles 5-6 times a year. Slamming on brakes for moose, caribou, and morons. Its the way the cradle is built it can go forward but its going to go up and over at the same time.  Also have 2 strap's one in front of cockpit holding back other behind cockpit holding forward they never even wiggle. Don't get me wrong things can go badly.

one way if you can't muscle it up there is a winch/coma long hooked to a cradle on a sliding rail system
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:05:28 PM by revtoyota »

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
I have been hauling these for around 15 years like this and no problems at all. That's including over 200 miles of dirt road along with 800-1200 paved road miles 5-6 times a year. Slamming on brakes for moose, caribou, and morons. Its the way the cradle is built it can go forward but its going to go up and over at the same time.  Also have 2 strap's one in front of cockpit holding back other behind cockpit holding forward they never even wiggle. Don't get me wrong things can go badly.

one way if you can't muscle it up there is a winch/coma long hooked to a cradle on a sliding rail system

Do you know what that system is called or who makes it? I've looked at a few online but haven't seen one that looks like it would work for this particular application. 

I apologise for mentioning the boat through the passenger compartment thing.  I know better than to offer unsolicited advice. It won't happen again.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:51:08 PM by aquachigger »

Offline revtoyota

• 907 953 9666
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »
No worries man  \./8 your not the first to ask.  I just made the rack for them to prevent that issue, have had the same happen with sheet metal.

.  I don't think anyone makes that type of carrier the closest thing could think of is a side loading canoe carrier. Maybe?  Or something like you see on the electrical vans for ladders they side load.  if it is just the one mokai you could make one fairly easy. 

I'm waiting for parts in Dutch right now so let me see what I can find premade that might work.

Offline revtoyota

• 907 953 9666
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
Ok found what you would need I think.  It is in Australia.   but I think it would work.

http://HTTP://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/water/boat-loaders/side-boat-loader_rsbl
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:11:14 PM by revtoyota »

Offline aquachigger

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 05:08:29 PM »
I appreciate the link. I'll dig into it.

Offline revtoyota

• 907 953 9666
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 05:35:06 PM »
Sry if the link doesn't work. Not sure why it did that.   and no problem.  They also have the rear boat loader but would have to empty boat of everything but pump.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/water/boat-loaders/side-boat-loader_rsbl

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 05:52:33 PM »
Here's one way they get em up there in FL. I think I would pull the motor out first. I would like to see if he can get the Yamaha up there......

https://youtu.be/_jmXJWMDr0M

Offline revtoyota

• 907 953 9666
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »
Lol  >:( :-[ :)).   I would hate trying to do that at a full boat launch.  It works. I will give it that.

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 06:44:08 PM »
I considered a gravity skate wheel conveyor, but they are heavy. You can purchase these on Craigslist cheep.