$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Stupid questions pt 2

Author Topic: Stupid questions pt 2  (Read 2005 times)

Offline RiverHawk

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
Stupid questions pt 2
« on: March 21, 2016, 08:56:40 PM »
Sorry in advance. After these I hope not to bother you guys until something major pops up. Or I get a scenic video to post that I won't be able to figure out how to.

1. Oil change: draining the oil, do I just unscrew the shiny knob that is not the dipstick that's very visible and tilt the engine so it pours out? If that's correct I just measure out the capacity and pour in synthetic oil, screw that shiny cap back in, call it good for 10 hours of runtime then repeat? Or is there a plug underneath I just don't see?

2. Cleaning: I muddied the hell out of this beauty inside and out my maiden voyage and just spent a half hour cleaning out the cockpit and engine compartment by hand. I knew beforehand there was an easier way and figured it involved a hose. Don't want to do that again.  I figure I could probably just tilt the nose up, spray out the cockpit and let the water run out the drain plug like I do my sit on top kayak, then sponge out that last little bit of water Assuming engine out, should I cover the bearing or whatever the part name it is you grease with a bag so water doesn't get in there? If,I wanted to leave the Subaru in and do a quick cleanse of the cockpit would that potentially be a problem?

3. Greasing: so I got the grease gun contraption, how many pumps is sufficient?  1, 2, 3.....? I'm assuming you give it a squirt and work it around. This seems like it could become enough of a distraction to warrant the automatic contraption of Tom's, so back to issue 3 would spraying out the boat require removing said contraption.

Like I said I know these are kind of dumb queries and it's a robust boat but I just don't want to screw something up from the start. Thanks for any answers and I love sarcasm.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Stupid questions pt 2
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:31:29 PM »
Glad to help. Going to try to be quick in my answers though.

Oil drain plugs are on either side of the base of the block just below any over from the fill plugs. .6 quarts (just over half a quart) to fill, if it's up near the threads you put too much. 10w-30 works great.

Hose it out, you won't hurt anything. I wouldn't spray the motor down unless you've played in salt water. No need to cover bearings etc..

The hull bearing should be greased every 5-10 hours, or every 20 miles of full throttle. Pump it with grease until it starts to ooze out. Use the boat enough and you'll quickly decide my bearing is a necessity.  ;)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline RiverHawk

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:01:50 PM »
So I had my 6th voyage today and my first real problem. Probably my fault. Cruised for maybe 20 minutes at full throttle, stopped to scope out a future campsite and cut the engine. When I got back in to pleasure cruise again I noticed I left the choke wide open. For the first time I had a little difficulty starting it, but she did. Worked my up back to full throttle and after a few minutes the motor let up and I slowed down. I thought I might have nudged the throttle lock with my leg so I made sure I was at full throttle and she sped back up. It happened again with a little white smoke. Kept going and very shortly after the boat "let up" again but this time with a lot of black smoke. I gave it a 30 min break and Checked the oil, probably overfilled it so it had plenty. The magnetic dipstick had black stuff on it.

I floated down the Big Sioux for awhile and after awhile started the motor. She purred ok and seemed fine at low throttle. After a few minutes I was hoping everything was back to normal so I gradually brought it back up to full throttle and after a little while the same let up and a modest amount of smoke flared out again. Limped on home from there.  :-[

Could running full throttle with the choke wide open for a decent period of time have caused this?

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 05:11:43 PM »
The motor wouldn't continue to run with the choke on, so that isn't the issue, and even partially on the engine would just chug and have no power. Sounds like you overfilled the oil, hence the white smoke. With the engine on a level surface, the oil should not pass the line before the threads begin. You should have to tip the motor slightly to you to see the oil move. Overfilling will cause the motor to bog down and smoke like a freight train. Get the level right and it will be fine. You haven't hurt anything. Black stuff on the magnet is normal, the whole point of the magnet being there is to collect that stuff.  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline RiverHawk

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »
I definitely did too much oil. I had the engine on my tailgate when I topped it off and my drive slopes down. It was this dipsticks fault not your dipstick.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 05:43:09 PM »
LOL Yup, that will do it.  :D