$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; ES-kape Steering / Throttle Cable Conversion Instructions

Author Topic: ES-kape Steering / Throttle Cable Conversion Instructions  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
ES-kape Steering / Throttle Cable Conversion Instructions
« on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:50 PM »
Cable conversion kit installation instructions for the ES-kape.  \./8
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
  • Cool Points: 15
  • Engine: EX21
  • Model Year: 2015
Re: ES-kape Steering / Throttle Cable Conversion Instructions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
Tom, could you please explain how throttle is controlled in your conversion? This may seem like a moronic question, but after reading instructions and watching the video few times I just can't figure it out. To clarify, I am not asking how cable works or how it controls the engine, that part is perfectly clear. But what actuates the throttle cable? I can see only one  big handle, which seem to control direction only(?).

The other question is about disconnecting Mokai into separate sections, which I do regularly. Would the  conversion make this significantly more difficult? Disconnecting both cables in stern section seems quick, but then the midsection will have long "tails". Are cables flexible enough to be pulled into midsection on a regular basis?

Can one still put bow and stern section inside the midsection for compact transport without removing your handle/bracket assembly?

Also, it would be helpful to see pictures of how cables are rooted after conversion, particularly in a fully assembled stern section. Just wondering about cables getting between tank, battery, plenum and the engine.

Sorry for the stream of questions, but I'd like to make sure that, if I go for this fairly expensive add-on, it won't  turn into something I did not anticipate.

Please take your time responding. And thanks a bunch for making this conversion possible!

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
I take it for granted that not everyone knows how all the old models were set up. The steering stick has a motorcycle type twist grip that works the throttle. Twisting the handle clockwise is how it works. I've posted so many videos that I just assumed everyone knew how it worked. Here you can see me using it. https://youtu.be/-3lVlBE5Dy4?t=3m16s

Regular separation of the hull sections would mean pulling the throttle cable through to the cockpit first, and then the steering cable back into the engine compartment. The cables can be coiled up no problem, and steering cable is even quick release from both ends so it can be completely removed from the boat if needed. Nothing changes in the nesting configuration. The handle assembly never gets removed, there is no reason to take it out. It is more out of the way than the factory control box.

Take all the time you like to decide, I'm a couple months backed up right now so I'm glad you're not in a hurry. Glad to answer any questions so you can better understand how this all works.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »
Twist handle, huh :) I thought it would be something simple and effective. Much appreciated, all my questions answered.

Offline happul3

• Mokai Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:22:17 PM »
I am happy to report that the conversion of my Eskape to mechanical steering and throttle was absolutely painless :)
I was a bit worried about drilling/cutting and how all the pieces would fit together, but in reality everything worked out quickly and perfectly, which is to a largest degree is because of a foolproof design by Tom.  Two rides so far, everything works well. Peace of mind that there are no funky electronics to fail when heated or exposed to water is really priceless. By the way, when I opened the "sealed" electric box I found about an ounce of water inside. Beware, the seeping water is not ever going away, in a few month or a few years your electric box may be flooded...

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 08:23:29 PM »
I'm so happy to hear everything went smoothly for you, I try very hard to ensure things are as "Painless" as possible! Looking forward to hearing about your future outings with it, and really appreciate the feedback here.  \./8

Good tip on the control box taking on water, I hadn't heard about that yet but I can see how it could happen. If you ever need any help rewiring that so the power supply is no longer in there just let me know.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline DavidPierce

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: Any
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 05:04:35 PM »
What great interaction!  That's customer support!  Oh... and Tom... thanks for guiding me to the info. I will need when I receive my upgrades!  Also commensurate with great support!

Dave P.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 05:57:29 PM »
Thanks Dave, glad to help and look forward to seeing you posting how everything works out with yours. I'll get the kit made up as soon as I can for you. Welcome to the "club".  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com