$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Oil Sensor Temp Gauge

Author Topic: Oil Sensor Temp Gauge  (Read 21215 times)

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 46
  • Engine: EX21 W/EX17 Head
  • Model Year: 2010
Oil Sensor Temp Gauge
« on: March 09, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »
Don't know why the photos are 90 deg. off.  Here is the product as received.  It was $57.34 with WA sales tax.

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
Re: Temp Gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:08:46 AM »
 Nice set up Bizler,  Before I installed mine, the sensor was sitting on my bench and the meter was reading 71 degrees, I shot the sensor with my lazier which read the same temperature as the meter.  I'm sure the readings will be accurate enough for our purposes.

John

Offline Californiamokai

• Cool Points: 8
  • Engine: RS SP-210 w/17 ES
  • Model Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »
Hi Bill,

I, too, purchased the same Trial Tech Gauge. Your earlier comment was "I made an adaptor to enable the thermistor to be placed in the unused dip-stick hole."  Just exactly, how did you get that done.

Tight lines, John

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:52:40 PM »
I turned it on my lathe from aluminum bar stock.  I could make one for you if you want.  I could use a project about now until this rain lets up.  Just email me the address where you want it sent.  Here is what it'll look like.   bizler1@aol.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
Oil temp. Sensing
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:40:32 PM »
I was able to get out today and see what my newly installed Trail Tech gage had to say about oil temperature in my EX21 with EX17 head and water-cooled exhaust.   The ambient air temp. was in the mid 50's.  The water temperature was probably in the high 40's.

What I observed was that at easy cruising speed, 3600 rpm, the oil temp. hovered around 195 F.  At full throttle, 4440 rpm, the highest temp. was 235 F. At trolling speed, 2100 rpm, it ran at 167 F. 

The gage actually records and holds the Max. temp. and alternates between current and Max. I don't know how long it will do this and I haven't figured out yet whether it can be reset.

I have been using Havoline 10W-30 in my engine since it was new, mainly because I have a half case of the stuff on hand.  I change oil about every 20 hrs. or so and I eep it topped off.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:46:44 PM by bizler »

Offline Rottweilerman

• Mokai Addict Member
  • Cool Points: 22
  • Engine: EX21, With EX17 Head
  • Model Year: Sold my 2015
Re: Oil temp. Sensing
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:58:59 PM »
Bliz,  Very happy to see your results :).    Now I'm not too worried about the high number (416 degree's) I experienced with the spark plug sensor. ::)

Good job. \./8  I'm sure others are interested as well.

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 10:19:10 PM »
I think the spark plug sensor might be made made for water-cooled engine application.  Literature for mine say the maximum temp. it will display is 475 F.  Perhaps you might want to check with Trail Tech and see if the thermistor sensor will plug into it and work properly.  Just a thought...

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 59
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 11:48:19 PM »
Great results there! Now I'm going to have to get one of these to see what my temps are. lol  >:D
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:56:46 PM »
I hope you do, Tom.  A few more data points will build confidence that my results are either normal
or not...

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 12:08:48 AM »
Oil temps above 212 would be good for preventing moisture buildup. Up to 260 wouldn't make me worry, especially with Amsoil, but the hotter the oil the more frequently it should be changed. I usually shoot for 10-15 hours depending on consumption. I will open a new quart to fill, then use the remainder to top off as needed until it's gone, then I will change and start over.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
Re: Oil Sensor Temp Gauge
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 12:51:47 AM »
I re-read the instructions and there is a provision for resetting the Max temperature, among other options.  It appears that I can just leave it as it is and it will reset itself when the temp gets above 130 Degrees.

Offline Odie

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 17
  • Engine: RS
  • Model Year: 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 09:35:38 AM »
I was unaware of Trail Tech before purchasing my Dakota Digital setup a year or more ago.  An oil temp gauge is great for establishing trends, as in Bizler's example.
I tested a lesser expensive setup prior to Dakota and was disappointed. Either an ice bath or boil comparison against a known accurate meter doesn't tell the whole story when testing. I learned that after much reading and trial and error. To really test the setup, the thermistor should be tested in an oil bath that is heating up, with a known good instrument pretested to the target high temperature, say 300 f. The gauge itself should be far enough away physically to represent a realistic ambient temperature.
My first, lesser oil temp gauge indicated @ 40 error tested this way. My Dakota Digital was dead nuts accurate. The reason was due to the inadequate circuit compensation aka cold junction compensation in the first. The cheapest gauges have no compensation, the next step up will have a preset compensation, say 70 f. Still not accurate. The higher end gauges will integrate a second sensor at the gauge that actually measures ambient temperature to determine compensation.
The lower end gauges with fixed compensation will only be accurate at one given temperature and will otherwise read low when ambient is high, or read high when ambient is low, as much as 40 +/-, as stated earlier. Unfortunately the error is greatest when the oil is approaching a critical temperature.
The cheaper gauges are still useful for establishing trends as long as the gauge/thermistor are matched in range/resistance.
Also, never test a thermistor with a direct flame (Bid, torch, etc.) or damage is likely to result, possibly affecting accuracy.
Long winded I know, sorry bout that.

Offline bizler

• Mokai Addict Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 08:38:39 PM »
I made another trip today from the south shore of Vancouver Lake down Lake River to the Ridgefield boat ramp and back. It took 4 hours.  I didn't turn the engine off at all.  Most of the trip I ran at 3600 rpm.  The high oil temp at this speed was 204.  I ran at full speed, 4440, for about 30 minutes.  The Max temp. was 245.  At idle speed, while passing by the two floating home colonies, 2100 rpm, temp cooled to 167.  So there are a few more data points for those who might be interested.

If you are contemplating getting a Trail Tech gage, I have a couple more adapters.  IM or EM me and I will mail one to you, no charge, first come first served while they last or until someone decides to make them for sale.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 09:05:57 PM »
That's mighty awesome of you Bill. PM sent!  :-O