$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; "Kayak Kaddy"

Author Topic: "Kayak Kaddy"  (Read 2598 times)

Offline RiverHawk

• Cool Points: 1
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2011
"Kayak Kaddy"
« on: March 06, 2016, 01:04:44 AM »
Kayakkaddy.com (sorry I am link stupid)

I've camped out of my 12' sit on top kayak for years. It's been great to do with a set of old friends but what with marriages,kids etc mounting organizing trips is not easy.  We shoot for twice a year.   Once you can juggle weekends and pick a river stretch its easy because we have multiple trucks to shuttle with.

Just bought the Mokai with the hopes of sprinkling in a few spur of the moment solo trips a year.  The cockpit does have some decent space in the bow but but I'd fill it up fast with a decent sized cooler and three 50L dry bags. On the Mokai I'm nervous to strap cargo on top in fear of upping the tip probability.

Sorry for the long winded preface.  I just wanted advice on a kayak accessory. Would this product be doable pulling behind the Mokai?  Does the wake make it volatile? Could you tether it to the side if so? Would the rod option work or be worth it? Any other cargo solution advice would most definitely be appreciated. 

Offline revtoyota

• Cool Points: 10
  • 907 953 9666
  • Engine: honda gc190's
  • Model Year: 2 2006's 1 2008
Re: "Kayak Kaddy"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 02:35:12 AM »
You'll be fine with stuff on top. I have packed moose and caribou out in and on top of the mokai plenty of times with no real problem. As far as tipping it over you really would need to try hard to get it to go over and I'm 6'5 280 the boat will hold more then you think up to around 450-500 lbs.You just wont be going any where fast.

As for the kaddy not sure how it would do unless you tow it 5-10 ft behind you. The side idea works of your going under 5mph over that you will get splash back from the kaddy. never had the need for one.

And photo to show you to not be afraid of top mounting items. Not my photo either.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:39:13 AM by revtoyota »

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 43
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
 Interesting concept, it depends on how far you go, and the conditions you face. I would probably just make a couple trips, or if on a easy river / lake drag a packed canoe. I've been looking at these SuperSuckers to strap gear down, but I'm afraid they won't hold.

http://www.seattlesportsco.com/paddling/lashmates/lashmatestm-supersuk-attachment-system.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:22:03 AM by The Man »

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:32:51 AM »
I agree with Rev.  You can put lots on top of the boat, both in front and back.  I pack light bulky stuff in dry bags in back, as back is narrow and tippy.  Just be careful not to block air and exhaust.  The boat can hold plenty for traveling. Adjust the weight to allow a good boat/water attitude and just go.  Pulling something behind or on the side is a drag - literally.

Offline RiverHawk

• Cool Points: 1
  • Model Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to get the boat out.

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 06:12:41 PM by The Man »

Offline king squirrel

• Cool Points: 5
  • Model Year: 2016 & 2016
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
I have been reading through some of these older threads and this one caught my attention. Recently, I towed a kayak with an adult on board and that was indeed a 'drag' as previously stated. Still, the boat towed it with a respectable amount of authority. The Kaddy could be very useful for a fisherman. I like to use the my Mokai for traveling to my favorite wading spots on local rivers. You could tether the Kaddy to your waist and have rod holders/tackle/net/food/hydration with you as you walk around. Too often I have found myself in need of one or more of these things and long water walk away from my Mokai mother ship.

The other item I often refrain bringing along (due to weight) is a cooler with ice. Found this one today https://kanoolerproducts.com/. The question now is - will towing this cooler slow you down more than strapping an ice filled box directly onto the boat? Only one way to find out I suppose. At the very least, it would alleviate the space consumption of a cooler on the Mokai.

Offline The Man

• Mokai Maniac Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 02:52:41 PM »
I have been reading through some of these older threads and this one caught my attention. Recently, I towed a kayak with an adult on board and that was indeed a 'drag' as previously stated. Still, the boat towed it with a respectable amount of authority. The Kaddy could be very useful for a fisherman. I like to use the my Mokai for traveling to my favorite wading spots on local rivers. You could tether the Kaddy to your waist and have rod holders/tackle/net/food/hydration with you as you walk around. Too often I have found myself in need of one or more of these things and long water walk away from my Mokai mother ship.

The other item I often refrain bringing along (due to weight) is a cooler with ice. Found this one today https://kanoolerproducts.com/. The question now is - will towing this cooler slow you down more than strapping an ice filled box directly onto the boat? Only one way to find out I suppose. At the very least, it would alleviate the space consumption of a cooler on the Mokai.

Dragging anything will slow you down. I freeze my drinks and  use in place of ice. I have a cooler that fit inside the front of the boat, but use it mainly for dry storage. I bought one of these to strap on top of the boat.

https://icemulecoolers.com/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:57:48 PM by The Man »

Offline king squirrel

• Cool Points: 5
  • Model Year: 2016 & 2016
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
Dragging anything will slow you down. I freeze my drinks and  use in place of ice. I have a cooler that fit inside the front of the boat, but use it mainly for dry storage. I bought one of these to strap on top of the boat.

https://icemulecoolers.com/

Thanks for this suggestion and cooler link. No more warm water in this guy's boat ;D