$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Throttle and Steering Direct Control Conversion Kits

Author Topic: Throttle and Steering Direct Control Conversion Kits  (Read 23673 times)

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
Re: Throttle and Steering Direct Control Conversion Kits
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2016, 06:57:13 PM »
Is this something new? Or has this always been how much power you've had, and are hoping for more? The throttle handle/cable assembly provides more travel than the linkage requires, the spring that connects the governor arm to the linkage arm, that replaced the servo, takes up the extra travel that isn't needed. So if you really are having an issue with not enough travel, you need to make sure that spring is on the very end hole of the blue linkage arm first. Also make sure the throttle tension screw on the handle is not too tight and restricting travel. Let me know what you find.
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2016, 11:01:52 PM »
Nothing new, I have been using it mostly on a very small river, creek really but have been taking it on a bigger more currenty river (but in no way too serious a current) and it is having a lot of trouble getting up river in some sections. I know weight is a serious factor and I weigh around 210 so I'm not expecting to break any speed records.
When the throttle handle is cranked to max there is still a lot of travel room at the motor and I can push it manually quite a bit more, or is that something that is governed and is not supposed to rev that much? It just seems like it should pull the lever over more.           

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2016, 12:48:12 AM »
I'm sure there is no problem then. You will be able to manually move the linkage much further than the carburetor is able to. The spring simply gives, and the lever continues it's travel. Now if you were on the water at full throttle, and you were able to move that linkage manually and gain more speed, then that would be a problem. But I highly doubt that is the case. These boats are seriously under powered to begin with, and with your 210 lbs in the seat the "going up rapids" performance is going to be scary poor. The governor has zero effect on RPM when you are in the water, it simply keeps you from over revving out of the water and acts as a throttle return when the engine is running. You should be getting 11-13 going with the current, 9-10 going up depending on conditions. Going up rapids is a whole different matter.

If you want more power, you'll need to swap on an EX17 head. Make the plenum larger for better cooing. Water cooled muffler. Cold air intake. The cooler the engine is, the more power you will retain when hot. Make performance mods without addressing the cooling and you have a motor that runs great for two miles and then becomes slower than the stock setup was.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
Thanks Tom, great info as always.  I figured as much but still wasn't 100% confident that I hooked the throttle linkage correctly or there was some adjustment  I had overlooked.   I will look into doing some upgrades for a winter project.   

Offline Jpmichigan

• Cool Points: 9
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: 2015
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
Just a Kudo's to Tom, I just installed his conversion kit.. and man - it's nice having True control of steering and throttle.

At first glance - it's pricy - but when you see the quality of the parts and the instructions.. well worth the $$.

Had my first trip with it.. leaves are starting to fall, water had clumps of vegetation floating - with this steering conversion it was no sweat to avoid the grate filling vegetation .

Awesome Job Painless Tom.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
Thanks Jason, really appreciate the feedback and happy you're happy! Enjoy!  :)
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
Just a video to demonstrate how the control box works after I've rewired it.  \./8

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOF_o9HPaH0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOF_o9HPaH0</a>
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com