$txt['youtube'] = 'YouTube'; $txt['youtube_invalid'] = '#Invalid YouTube Link#'; Throttle and Steering Direct Control Conversion Kits

Author Topic: Throttle and Steering Direct Control Conversion Kits  (Read 23607 times)

Offline Fishlover

• Cool Points: 7
  • Engine: Subaru EX21
  • Model Year: 2015 ES-Kape
Re: Throttle and Steering Direct Control Conversion Kits
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 04:40:08 PM »
NOW I see it!
Thanks for this very informational video.
When you have a chance, it would be good to see how the bulkhead pass-through for the cables fits together to make a seal. But no rush.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 55
  • Making Your Mokai... A Better Mokai!
    • Painless Products
  • Engine: EX21 w/17 head - ES
  • Model Year: 2003 / 2011 / 2015
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
Pictures of the hull seal were posted with the rest yesterday if you go back and look again.  ;)
Tom

>:D    

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »
Full video of the trip coming later, but I was too excited to wait sharing the results with all of you. First enjoyable trip I've made in this boat. The trip was 20 miles total, the first half was cold in the low 40's so I was trying to make the whole trip up hands free. Neal (neally67) is making some really nice trim tabs that do make a difference in tracking and keeping water from traveling up the side of the engine compartment, they helped plant the boat much better than stock, but it still wanders more than I'd like. *I will start another thread to discuss the trim tabs further. So the trip up still involved allot of leaning the wrong way to steer, and bumping the stick when leaning didn't cut it. Was still much MUCH better than the servo controls though. The trip back was a breeze, the most fun I've had in the boat yet, and the most fun I've had in a Mokai for navigating fast turns. I have some bugs to work out in the throttle tension screw, so had to keep my hand on the stick the trip back. It would stay full throttle as long as my hand was resting on it, so I didn't have to really "hold" it, but resting my hand there I found I was automatically adjusting the course, so the entire return trip was very nice. 18-19 mph the whole way back, thanks to the EX17 head and my cold air intake and water cooled muffler. Such a great test session, and one that's left me actually excited for the future of this models potential. I ESKAPED from SERVO PRISON!! HAHA   :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwWU0vvt4Tg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwWU0vvt4Tg</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVPp0Z7VhuI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVPp0Z7VhuI</a>
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline revtoyota

• Cool Points: 10
  • 907 953 9666
  • Engine: honda gc190's
  • Model Year: 2 2006's 1 2008
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »
Looks good man. \./8.  I was looking at doing the same for trim tabs on mine help get the ass end out of the water a little and keep water off the engine hatch.  Glad you had a good trip in the boat finally.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »
Thanks, it was a great time. FYI the trim tabs will fit the old hull too, the shape did not change in that area. ;) PM neally67 if you'd like to order a set.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline revtoyota

• Cool Points: 10
  • 907 953 9666
  • Engine: honda gc190's
  • Model Year: 2 2006's 1 2008
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »
Nice!!! I will definitely get ahold of him.

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 12:13:36 AM »
Ok guys, here is my video from today's test run. 20 miles round trip that left me with a big smile.  :)

I worked out the bugs today and will be doing more testing next week before finalizing the kit and making them available.  \./8

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdB-PFFXsM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdB-PFFXsM</a>
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

• Cool Points: 19
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 08:51:38 AM »
Great job, great vid; now maybe I'll get one if they ever process my order. 

Offline riverman

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 09:10:52 AM »
And by processing the order I don't mean anything from Tom ,I mean the mokai itself; its been a long wait. 

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
LOL I knew what you meant, but I can see how others might have missed that so thanks for clarifying.  \./8 I can't tell you how many people I've heard from that said they were on the waiting list, but seem to have been forgotten. Might want to call them and give a little push to make sure you haven't been?
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline riverman

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »
Yup, I'm not sure what the problem is, I've had my order in for over a year and have e-mailed and talked in person and each time it's the same thing; "you're about 1 month away." Maybe it's too much hassle to ship up here or maybe they just don't like us up in Canada (ha-ha.) Seriously though they are being quite polite about it so I'm a bit confused.  But to be honest I would like to see our dollar come up a bit first so I guess this wait is not all that bad of a thing . 

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »
Then you are in good shape then if they are in contact and being nice. You should have one sometime this year yet.  \./8
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Hillbilly

• Mokai Maniac Member
  • Cool Points: 35
  • Engine: Subaru
  • Model Year: many
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »
This looks like a total success, Tom.  Enjoyed the video.  Two things I noticed.  First is how close you are able to place the back of the water cooled muffler to the edge of the hatch. That is one cool running muffler.  Second is how smooth the water comes around the stern.  Do you think the new flaps have improved the flow?  Turbulent flow in that area slows my boats down.  That's a fast boat.  Is the ES hull faster? Thanks

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »
Totally, George, it was definitely a huge success. Cable control is hands down THE way to go with this boat. The muffler ends up being pretty close now that the motor is further back in this new hull, without the water cooling coils there was 1/2" clearance, but that was still plenty to avoid any heat issues. But water cooled is definitely the best way, after running full throttle for 10 miles you can put your hand on it and leave it there. That reduction of heat in the engine compartment, coupled with my cold air intake, allows consistent performance all day long with no drop in RPM from heat.

The trim tabs do keep the water flowing around the stern instead of crashing into it, they also happen to fit the old hull too so give neally67 a PM if you'd like to order a set!  \./8

The Es-Kape hull is faster, at the expense of some stability and comfort. The steps in the sides of the center section upset the balance, while reducing the wetted area for more speed, they also increases the steering response. It is what changes the leaning characteristics so left is right, and right is left. The one big issue I have with this hull that will keep me from ever really endorsing it 100%.
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com

Offline Painlesstom

• Painless Tom
  • Administrator
  • Mokai Maniac Member
    • Painless Products
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 10:06:16 PM »
Here is some bonus footage from the other day, different perspective that will make you feel like you were there maybe or at least relate to what it was like. Next trip planned for Tuesday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YknMkH4OpQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YknMkH4OpQ</a>
Tom

www.PainlessClutch.com